Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 AM

Default No audio through master fader

Hey there, I've just upgraded my set up to an iMac and Pro tools 10/11. In playing back my sessions, all seems fine except there is no audio routed through the master fader - yet all the meters are indicating sound output and when each track is solo'd all is fine.

I run the system through my mBox 3 Pro and never had any problems of this nature before. All the I/O's are ok and all the drivers are up to date.

Am I being stupid and the function and routing of the master fader has changed in Pro Tools 10?

When I solo a track (or tracks), there is an output and audio. If I don't (and leave the track to play as normal), nothing happens - no audio through the master fader.

I've tried deleting the master fader and inserting a new one, but no luck.

Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 AM

Default Re: No audio through master fader

Is the master fader output correctly mapped? What options do you have?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Hey Phil, all settings appear good. It seems it's not just master fader related. I don't get any audio output through analogue 1 & 2 on any track unless I solo it. Really weird and surely something I don't have set up correctly. Was working in PT8le prior to migrating my songs to PT10 and had no issues with the former ... Though I didn't export/ import my set up.

Will probably be a duh moment when it becomes obvious ... it's just that it's not very obvious at the moment!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:03 PM

First thing I'd try is to reset the I/O to 'default'.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Here's another thing worth trying; open the IO setup and go to the BUS tab. Start at the top and scroll down. If you see anything in italics, UNcheck it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post
First thing I'd try is to reset the I/O to 'default'.
And remember that you have to click the "Default" button on each tab on the I/O dialog...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Thanks to everyone who has provided support and advice, I'm hugely appreciative of the feedback.

I did finally get it all sorted ... after hours and hours of painstaking logical problem solving. I thought I'd post what convoluted steps I had to go through to get this working:

1) I reverted back to my old MacBook Pro with snow leopard and assured myself that all hardware/ files were working with PT8LE.
2) I downloaded PT10 using a hard wired ethernet cable instead of wifi. I did this because I've had an issue with another vendor in downloading a large plugin and this hardwired approach sorted that issue to prevent errors during download. Avid don't suggest this as far as I can see.
3) I uninstalled PT8LE and loaded the new downloaded PT10 with the old mbox drivers - all worked great
4) Backing up at all stages, I upgraded OS to Mountain Lion
5) With the MBox powered off I uninstalled the old drivers and loaded the latest versions compatible with M/Lion (beware, this is essential for MBox 3 pro users as it will otherwise crash the mac when the mbox is turned on)
6) I tested everything thoroughly and it was perfect - no need to tweak any settings at all as regards I/O etc.
7) I then backed up via Time Machine and migrated over to my new iMac.
8) Re-authorised my plugins on the new iMac with the various companies and voila it's perfect! PT and MBox Pro running perfect - audio, plugins, old tracks, etc. Am delighted!

So whilst it looked like a configuration issue, the original problem "possibly" could have resulted from a corrupt download of PT10 using wifi. Downloading using an ethernet connection is much more reliable.

I don't know if any of the above is of interest or help to anyone, but even having followed Avid's installation instructions to the letter, major problems can still occur. As Avid were slow in responding to my technical query (after 3 days they were unable to help/ slow to respond), a bit of a logical process of elimination seems to have done the job.

If it changes, I'll update this post, but hopefully anyone else suffering might benefit from the above!!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Apologies, my comment was a little unfair on Avid. After three days they suggested remote log on to my machine to diagnose. Thankfully this wasn't required and hopefully it's all sorted now.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
Thanks to everyone who has provided support and advice, I'm hugely appreciative of the feedback.

I did finally get it all sorted ... after hours and hours of painstaking logical problem solving. I thought I'd post what convoluted steps I had to go through to get this working:

1) I reverted back to my old MacBook Pro with snow leopard and assured myself that all hardware/ files were working with PT8LE.
2) I downloaded PT10 using a hard wired ethernet cable instead of wifi. I did this because I've had an issue with another vendor in downloading a large plugin and this hardwired approach sorted that issue to prevent errors during download. Avid don't suggest this as far as I can see.
3) I uninstalled PT8LE and loaded the new downloaded PT10 with the old mbox drivers - all worked great
4) Backing up at all stages, I upgraded OS to Mountain Lion
5) With the MBox powered off I uninstalled the old drivers and loaded the latest versions compatible with M/Lion (beware, this is essential for MBox 3 pro users as it will otherwise crash the mac when the mbox is turned on)
6) I tested everything thoroughly and it was perfect - no need to tweak any settings at all as regards I/O etc.
7) I then backed up via Time Machine and migrated over to my new iMac.
8) Re-authorised my plugins on the new iMac with the various companies and voila it's perfect! PT and MBox Pro running perfect - audio, plugins, old tracks, etc. Am delighted!

So whilst it looked like a configuration issue, the original problem "possibly" could have resulted from a corrupt download of PT10 using wifi. Downloading using an ethernet connection is much more reliable.

I don't know if any of the above is of interest or help to anyone, but even having followed Avid's installation instructions to the letter, major problems can still occur. As Avid were slow in responding to my technical query (after 3 days they were unable to help/ slow to respond), a bit of a logical process of elimination seems to have done the job.

If it changes, I'll update this post, but hopefully anyone else suffering might benefit from the above!!
All info and steps each user needs and takes to solve any issues are of interest both for new and older members here so Thank you for posting and really happy everything is A-OK now

Happy ProTooling and thanks again for the contribution from all you guys here in this thread

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————