Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2002, 06:56 PM

Default Re: With LexiVerb Not Making It, What Reverb Rules The World In HD?

Quote:
All I am saying, is that I can't see Digi or TC making a Plug-in that is as good or better than their hardware boxes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree with this. No company that's heavily into making expensive, stand-alone boxes will be interested in putting more than a few of their good algorithms into a plug-in. Companies like Eventide aren't even interested in going that far.

If a person has the budget, augmenting a PT rig with a top-shelf verb or two with AES/EBU i/o is the next thing to consider after acquiring decent analog front-end gear.

That being said, I'm really interested in what Altiverb has to offer. From what I've heard, it seems that it will be much more effective at putting instrument in real sounding ambient spaces More so than a 960L or TC6000.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-02-2002, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff ********
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Who here thinks that any plug-in sounds as good or better than the equivalant hardware?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Erik from bombfactory? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You know, I do and I'm not afraid to say it.

I know it's fashionable now to play the "well, it doesn't sound QUITE as good as the hardware, ahem, uhum..." game, but I think many of these people are just hedging.

You can do things with DSP that are simply impossible or impractical with analog hardware. Even George Massenburg is saying this. It's a very exciting time.

"Your 1176 doesn't sound like my 1176" notwithstanding (of course it doesn't!), I think a select few digital tools turned the corner in the last few years, and it's very clear to people who've been following this stuff closely.

Best of all, it's only going to get better.

--Erik
Old 08-02-2002, 08:21 PM

I'm with ya Erik.

Now how about those BF HD plugs? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2002, 09:03 PM

Reverb One
RealVerb
Ren. Reverb
TruVerb...not common ,but very useful.

in that order usually

Rob
Old 08-02-2002, 09:30 PM

You know, the other thing that occurs to me is that the movement should be in the convolution reverb if they're sampling a few seconds, no? Or do I simply not understand how these things work? (I don't, but I'm trying...)

In any case, I was totally blown away by the realism the first time I fired up Altiverb. And I've had two NuVerbs for several years.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:41 PM

The impulse is the only part that's sampled.

The *results* of that impulse can last as long as you want, but that doesn't capture any change. All it captures is the exact decay of that one impulse.

Think of it like radar--one pulse can illuminate an entire coastline. But if something's moving, you won't see it move, because you only get the one snapshot.

--Erik
Old 08-02-2002, 10:56 PM

This topic is really drifting!!!! Can we please get back to Reverb Plug-ins??? If you want to talk about the DRE-777 there is a place for that... another thread. I don't mean to be rude, but come on. Let us see what Reverb the majorlity of us are turning to now that we are in this "new platform." Responses are greatly appreciated. This thread is for HD users to interact about plug-in reverbs. Thanks!!!
Old 08-03-2002, 12:12 AM

I agree 100% that AltiVerb and Lexicons are quite different (and I'm very happy to have both at my disposal). But AltiVerb's spaces are quite stunning. I don't feel they need a Spin parameter to sound alive at all.

Also, wasn't the Lexicon tail-chorusing designed as much to smooth out the fizzle as to make the sound dynamic? That's not just a rhetorical question.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:35 AM

That's kind of like saying "was LFO designed to add vibrato, or to hide the fact that a two-oscillator synth doesn't really sound like a real oboe."

It almost doesn't matter--it's what mom expects to hear when she's listening to Celine Dion.

The fact that there's no Lexicon product for the high-end Pro Tools system is just plain odd.

--Erik
Old 08-03-2002, 12:39 AM

Anyone using TC6000 or a 960L with there DAW, how do they sound? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]