Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 04:48 AM

Default Re: iLok a clumsy solution?

According to Pace, the current iLok implementation allows for the transfer of authorizations between keys and removing authorizations by putting them BACK on the smart card. Serato, for example, allows transfer of an auth back onto a smart card.

Apparently it's up to Digidesign to enable this on their products. Up to now, they have chosen not to.

I hope they reconsider, as being able to combine auths from multiple keys, or being able to split your auths over multiple keys, would be very useful.

As for iLok utilities, Pace claims to have some things in the works to be available this Fall.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ray
Old 08-07-2002, 09:11 AM

Digi deleted a post of mine from here.

I stated that rogue employees at major retailers are giving away cracks to customers as an incentive to help move Pro Tools systems.

It's in the next issue of Keyboard mag, Mr. Langlie, no need for a coverup here.

Incidentally Bob: if you want to do something about the piracy problem (and Digidesign's profiteering from the wide availability of cracked plugins), may I suggest you find something constructive to do instead of playing DUC policeman?

--Erik
Old 08-07-2002, 09:37 AM

Hi Erik , (I almost spilled my beer!) that doesn't sound too good but do you think the ilok will improve the crack problem?
Old 08-07-2002, 10:01 AM

All software that runs in an unsecure environment (like a Mac or PC) can be cracked. iLok just makes it easy and fair for the legitimate customer to use the stuff they bought.

There are real solutions here, but Digi is afraid of them. Powercore, Mackie, Creamware, Sonic Solutions, UAD all have secure systems, and there are no cracks.

In Digi-land, every dollar saved on a crack is a dollar that can be spent on more of those fancy TDM cards. They really see it that way, it's sickening.

The withering pool of TDM developers is teaching them a lesson, slowly. We'll see if they listen.

--Erik
Old 08-07-2002, 11:01 AM
Avid

Yes Erik, our Web Admin guy deleted your post.

Our position has always been to remove posts that discuss cracks. No different here.

Your hyperbolic opinions about our motives aside, we do utilize copy protection and continue to work to develop more secure versions of CP, specifically with our new HD system. It's a difficult, complex issue that all software manufactures are struggling with, as I'm sure you are aware.

In what seems to be a perpetual event, when you go on the warpath it's usually pretty colorful, if not always factual. Suffice it to say that Digi clearly does not agree with the opinions and accusations you have been bandying about here the last few weeks, and we will leave it at that. Unfortunately, for those of you looking for entertainment, I'm of the opinion that getting into a pissing contest with a development partner in a public forum is not a particularly useful effort.

So here's the bottom line;

Erik’s agenda and motives are clear, and his personal attacks are inflammatory, non-constructive and tiring. While we understand that this is Erik's way of doing business, and we’ve been patient up to this point, we have decided to remove Erik from this forum.

Erik, please go soil someone else’s sandbox.

Bob Langlie
VP of Customer Support
Digidesign
Closed Thread