Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 & Akai MPK49 Keyboard Controller

protools did release the legacy controller files for PT8 which do have support for the CS-10. On protools 7 i was successful having my mpk49 control all the faders after a long and tedious setup and mapping for it. however in PT8 with the new legacy controller files, when i switch over to CS-10 in my peripherals the same way I did on PT7, the computer freezes up. I will keep you all updated on my process
Old 08-24-2009, 02:33 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...di+controllers
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 AM

I'm currently using an mpk 49 with PT8, and I don't use any more the CS10 file.
1. under Peripherals/Control Surfaces: I simply chose, in the first line, M-Audio. Then select , on the same line as input and output : "USB peripheral" or " audio peripheral", which correspond to your MPK (as my XP system is in french, I suppose that the MPK's name you should have to select may be different as input and output). Click OK.
2. All the work then consist in the MPK 49 edit. here's the concept:
Choose a Preset that you can rename Pro Tools for e.g.
The MpK edits will consist to give new Continuous Control values (: the famous MIDI CC values opposed to the MIDI Notes ones) to the Switches, Faders, Knobs and then configure the Transport mode under your Pro Tools preset.
This to create a correspondance between the Pro Tools default MIDI CC control mapping and our keyboard.
3. Here's the list of the Pro Tools MIDI CC default mapping for the M-Audio keyboards:
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 AM

So the list is:
a. Bank left = MIDI CC number 14, a bank is a group of 8 tracks or 8 faders in the mix view
b. Bank right= CC 15
c. Previous Track = CC 110
d. Next Nrack = CC 111
e. Mute selected Track = CC 12
f. Solo selected track = CC13
g. Pan knobs 1 to 8 for the selected bank( pan knob for the selected group of 8 tracks) : Pan Knob 1 = CC17, Pan Knob 2 = CC18 , PK 3 =CC 19, PK 4 = 20, PK 5 = 21, PK 6 = 22, PK 7 = 23, PK 8 = 24. Here as you change of bank the PK 1 stays affected to the first track of the bank.
h. Volume Faders 1 to 8 for the selected bank:
from CC 33 to CC 40, the Master fader is CC 41. It works as the Pan Knok selection.
i.Transport has to work in MIDI. touch a transport button, then press the Edit button on the MPK and select the right MIDI mode, not MMC...
There's a little problem here but, we'll see that later if you want.

The next step is to edit a preset on the MPK, I'll try to show you an e.g. in the next post.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 AM

To edit the knob, faders, and switches, ion the MPK, it's always the same:
a. Press the S1 button for e.g.,
b. Press the Edit button, to edit its functionnality in the selected preset, you'll see on the screen "Control Change", press the enter knob.
c. the middle field is the CC number, if you want to assign it to the "Move to Bank Left" function, turn the enter button until you'll have selected the number 14
d. with the arrows move left to change the MIDI channel if you want, and move to the right to select TGL rather than MOM,
e. press enter to save the changes, you can directly press the S2 button if you want to continue your customisation, don't forget to save your changes in the preset.

Hope it helps
BeBass
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Thank you very much, musaddict, I found your comment by a chance of research, and it's very useful !!

I have two troubles again;

1:
I set the panning command like CC 17-24 for each knobs, but every pans move only 0, 64, 127 (and they are inversed left and right) but not progressively.

2:
The transport buttons are not correct. In CTRL transport mode, they give CC 115-119, but actually I found Pro Tools runs as CC 114-118.
So the buttons of MPK49 don't work exactly, for example, REC button gives CC119 and does not works anymore, PLAY button gives CC118 and work as REC, STOP button gives CC117 and works as PLAY... etc.

Could you show me any solutions of these two problems?
thanks,

chimanosuke
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM

protools just released protools 8.0.1 which has the updated files for the CS 10 controller which is supposed to work perfect. im gonna try them when i get home. check it out in the headline news at http://www.digidesign.com
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 AM

Smile Re: Pro Tools 8 & Akai MPK49 Keyboard Controller

hey chimanosuke,
for the pan knobs, the issue may be the way your knobs are configured in the MPK, maybe if you edit them one by one or with the Wyzex soft,you can make them react as you want.
The transport issue : I've said something wrong about it, the best way to use them in Pro Tools is to edit the Transport buttons and set them in MMC only.
Then, in the Pro Tools Peripherals menu, set the MMC to slave and let the value to 127. It should work properly!

musaddict
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi, i am having the same problem with the pan pots snapping to 0, 64, 127. I have mapped everything else fine but still can sort this problem. If you have found a solution please do let me know.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 AM

Please Please Please, can tech support help with this issue and find out what the problem is or if anyone else can help i would be very grateful. not being able to control pro tools is driving me mad