Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2003, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Anyone Using Kontakt With Pro Tools?

I can only assume that those who are plaugued with problems dont have kontakt set up correctly.??

first dont use the 128 stream manager. It doesnt work with anything IMO.

kontakt is much smoother now with the direct to disk access.

while the Motu sampler may be RTAS which is great, if its anything like stylus it s timing will be sloppy.

kontakt is not. I dont know why compared to other DC stuff I have used in the past.

There are many reason why Kontakt is V Good. The filters, 16 part multitimbral, the built in FX, and the extremely easy file management to name a few.

Also the sound of the sampler has 'CHARACTER' if you want it. Cant say that for Sample Cell

Already the Motu sampler is being hailed as the anaswer for PT's users. Hmmmm I remember the exact same thing with many plugs and direct connect instruments.

Nothing is perfect
Old 02-01-2003, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I downloaded the demo and managed to get it up and running, but it was pretty flaky. Weird screen redraws, and many freezes and restarts in Pro Tools. Just going to another midi track and assigning it to ch 2 then hitting a note caused the whole screen to freeze.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">BTW that sounds like an OMS problem. when setting up Kontakt be careful how you set up the midi. remember it can act as a standalone unit. You should only have a midi input assigned and no midi out. The lockups smell like a midi feedback loop to me.

OMS has been the burden of my life and the day it is gone will be a day to rejoice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2003, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by planet X:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I downloaded the demo and managed to get it up and running, but it was pretty flaky. Weird screen redraws, and many freezes and restarts in Pro Tools. Just going to another midi track and assigning it to ch 2 then hitting a note caused the whole screen to freeze.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">BTW that sounds like an OMS problem. when setting up Kontakt be careful how you set up the midi. remember it can act as a standalone unit. You should only have a midi input assigned and no midi out. The lockups smell like a midi feedback loop to me.

OMS has been the burden of my life and the day it is gone will be a day to rejoice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Planet...just to make sure....I went in OMS and opened the IAC, and named the first blank space "Kontakt." In "Kontakt," I went to MIDI settings and chose my controller on the left side of the screen (input devices). I did not choose and output or patch thru. When I open Pro Tools and go to a MIDI channel, I see TWO choices in the pop up field where you choose what instrument you want. One says KONTACT N and that's all, and the other says KONTAKT and has a subdirectory for you to pick which channel o KONTAKT you want. Why do I see two?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:00 AM

planetx wrote:
>I can only assume that those who are plaugued with >problems dont have kontakt set up correctly.??

I really wish you are correct in this but don't think so.
All the greatest latest OS , PT HD etc...90% of the time
missing links...
It used to work very well under Mix+
...but PT HD and DC support is a dog..at least in our three rooms...YMMV
Janne A.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:58 PM

Just a couple of comments:

As I understand it, Direct Connect will be no more under OS X w/ PT 6. This means Kontakt will no longer work until they update it to work under RTAS. And exactly when that will happen remains to be seen.

At that point, it will be a plugin in the same vein as Mach 5. But if you're switching to OS X soon, you may be "out of Kontakt" for a while. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I wish I knew what NI's policy will be for the OS X RTAS update. The cross-grade offer is attractive in that it saves a bit of dough, but may be moot if you then need a paid upgrade a month later.

I may just pass on the cross-grade and see what Mach 5 looks like when it comes out. I likely won't be making the OS X / PT 6 switch before then anyway.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ray
Old 02-01-2003, 05:45 PM

Are we all forgetting who is making Mach 5? It's MOTU- the people who invented "Digital Penetration..." Anyone who's ever navigated through 15 folders and then hit "New" knows exactly what I'm talking about. It puts you right back where you started. Bulls*%#.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:58 PM

Hasn't there been talk of PT 6 doing ReWire? If so, then Reason then becomes a possibility. I haven't found anything much to dislike in the Reason samplers...
Old 02-01-2003, 06:01 PM

MACHFIVE plug-in with Control 24. All parameters flipped to the 24 faders and automated. That sounds good!
Old 02-02-2003, 02:26 AM

After talking to Native instruments they recommended that instead of using the Kontact midi channel you should use an IAC buss channel, BUT do not include Kontact in its name. Also make sure you have the latest directconnect and stream manager |(not 128 though)
Old 02-02-2003, 02:30 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, Direct Connect will be no more under OS X w/ PT 6. This means Kontakt will no longer work until they update it to work under RTAS. And exactly when that will happen remains to be seen.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you are correct. I didnt want to say, but i have it on fairly good authority that NI will be porting Kontakt for RTAS use. WHEN, I dont know.

its stands to reason that they will have to or they are going to piss alot of folks off including me.