Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: ProTools with OSX-- Are we going backwards??

"ever have this problem... my computer crashed..etc"
my system has been faster better and more reliable since moving to OSX. I would never look back. I love PT 6.7 and sure I have had a few issues here and there which usually are solved. I still have a wish list a mile long and yes soft synths are not where they should be, although Stylus and Trilogy for instance are rock solid. Mach Five is only a problem when the extracted library is corrupt. When I do crash which is maybe once a week, Pro Tools does auto saves so it is never the issue that it once was. Since moving to FW drives I do not have terminally bad drives like I always did under SCSI. Gone are the complicated SCSI bus issues and drivers and termination. I have multiple fW drives running 96K/24 bit session with tons of high end plug ins and even DV decks and FW CD burners and AIT2 drives and two monitors. My G5 is far more stable than my old G4 Quicksilver was. So I dont know but I sure hear a lot of whining around here...
Maybe if you kick it it will make it go
always worked for me
Seriously, the best thing about OSX is the fact that you can fairly easily reinstall the system and solve many issues. By the way I have virtually stopped using any disk utilities since moving to OSX less and less with each version. I can't tell you how many times i did the full voodoo ritual on OS9 with Norton and Tech Tools etc. Now never. And when I have had problems they have been hardware failure related. Mac Operating System has never been more stable.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:01 PM

Mt Everest..

That's correct ... absolutly no delay.... not anywhere that I have noticed. I gave the example of 100 effective changes to Hide and unhide in 40 seconds. Just for the hek of it .. I set the Cursor speed and Double Click speed to Slow ...because these can have unexpected results in different areas of the computer operation ...but still the click results were instant.

As you say ...everything is stable ... then it doesn't seem like it would take you too long to find the problem .. You have overlooked something in your trouble shooting... its somewhere. .. a firewire or scsi drive ... too many files .. USB issue ...Plugins that were downloaded. ( I have almost quit using plugins ...using outboard gear now for much higher quality and dependable processing ) There is an endless list of possibilities ... but experience like yours will allow you to move quickly through many of them. You will find it !

FOR TESTING I have another drive on the system that has Protools and an Operating System identical to the main Protools drive ...except there is nothing else on it. The DATA drives are still separate drives partitioned to only 4 gigs each.

Good luck

Jon
Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 AM

i see people that are happy with it and peeps that are unhappy. net result? if it works for you now, it is because you are diligent in taking care of all the repair details and don't tax it too hard. if you previously worked on a 5.x os9 system, then you are bound to be disappointed with loading and processing delays. also, with random crashes. the features are certainly better, but the reliability is certainly worse. its a pathetic draw...until you factor in the upgrade costs...then for many it doesn't pay off.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 03-13-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Deal with it!

Quote:
if you previously worked on a 5.x os9 system, then you are bound to be disappointed with loading and processing delays. also, with random crashes.
If you read this thread, you can see that’s simply not true. If your system doesn’t work properly - do something about it!

Making blanket statements about OSX being inferior just because YOU have a problem is inaccurate and unproductive.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:36 AM

To danickstr:

You are correct of coarse ...about us. We do move withing the bounds of dependability and cost.

Certainly there are systems setup with far far more attached than ours.. with effects that we would have no knowledge.
We pulled a 30 year old Trident Parametric EQ off the shelf and blew the dust off ...and then IT blew away all of our EQ plug-ins.
We were using OS 9 for 6 years and have noticed an occasional crash in OSX 10.3.8 PT 6.4.1 during Mix times ...but nothing lost.
But to continue .. It isn't right to get a delay on the Edit desktop. That has to be dug out. Something that early on in the program wil certainly effect other processes in the entire record and mix process.
It could very well be that there are more issues ...but getting that delay off the edit page will help clean up the appearance of the problem ... hopefully leading to the final answers ..

Jon

Here is my little ending statement:

I'm am a total idiot ... so just go ahead an laugh ()()()()

Have a great day...
Old 03-15-2005, 12:03 AM

bassmac...not trying to offend anyone..but if I was alone in this complaint, then I would take you a bit more seriously. I wish I could fix it, but all the details have been attended to, and the bugs still crawl out of the hole.

making blanket statements about "fixing it" is unproductive. I do the steps and then it crashes and bogs. This isn't supposed to be rocket science. I just want to use the thing.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:19 AM

I know you’re not alone - I can read. Like I said... if OSX was a faulty OS (like you claimed), nobody’s system would work properly - right? That was my point.

Have you done an Erase & Install?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 AM

we have done many clean installs. I think I will throw out the apple ram this weekend and put in all high-end. will keep you posted, but let's try to work in a positive fashion. There should be nothing about my problems that makes you want to lose your temper. It doesnt' make sense. If I were hostile or belligerent then I could understand your being justified at losing patience. But this is the big kids forum. Let's be responsible in our assessments of each other.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:35 AM

to danickstr:

Ram is always a good place to look for trouble.
We bought ours from RamJet. We really don't know if it was quality Ram or not, but we
bought the full 2 gigs ( 4 512 mem cards ) that our g4 Dual would hold .. so at least it was all the same type.

99.9 percent of the forum users are terrific. Once and a while a 'god like' individual shows up ... just ignore them.
They don't really try to help ... they just try to make them selves sound good... we just quietly despise them.

Jon
Good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 AM

You guys are too much...

If you have a problem with your system, ask questions, that's what this forum is about. If you just want to use this place for bitching about Apple, Digi... whatever else is troubling you, then what do you expect?

Keeping it “positive” starts with YOU!

I am GOD! - don’t mess with me.