Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Even Dirk Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
I dunno...I've got to disagree...there are several changes that I think are fairly major:

1. Core audio drivers support up to 32 i/o My mixes on a HD6 with loads of TDM only plugs will never run native!! and i'm expected to carry my new ilok with up to 800 auths around yeah thats been well thought out. I bought LE and production tool kit for laptop prep work etc

2. New Track and Send Output Selector Commands (total reworking the internal bussing system - should be a BIG time saver) got key commands that do most of this and its limited by how fast PT can actually create a new track in a session, which has got slower since 8

3. Pro Tools 9.0 lets you select the pan depth for stereo output paths Need that like a bullet in the head

4. Eucon Support don't need it

5. new Import Translation options for OMF (including locaters) Paid $500 for Digi translator

6. Total reworking of the i/o setup page will eliminate problems such as overlapping paths when opening sessions from different systems. (this is huge!!!) I thought they just implemented this in 8.1? anyway never caused an issue for me

7. Delay compensation for MIDI and VIs (finally!) THATS A BUG FIX!!!! and should be a cs update for PT8

To me these are well thought out, functional improvements.
Avid played this one very well IMO...and I'm NOT prone to saying that...But...I've got to say that the upgrade price should be the same as LE-PT9 as others have said...

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylizor View Post
This is totally untrue, and very misleading by Avid.

HD system users DO NOT get 32 I/O with Core Audio - they get the same old 8.

This was the only reason I updated so quick - it was just what I needed, and I could not interprete this as meaning anything else from the Pro Tools software feature comparison

This chart shows PT9 software as having 32 I/O, whereas PT8 doesn't. What's misleading is that they now call the software PT HD 9. The software does offer this feature, but NOT to HD hardware users! You'll need to plug in an MBox or something!!!

This chart should be altered now, and the point made very clear so that other updaters don't get stung like I have been.
Is the core audio 8 channel limitation just on the TDM systems or the new HD Native as well?
Joe
Old 11-07-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylizor View Post
This is totally untrue, and very misleading by Avid.

HD system users DO NOT get 32 I/O with Core Audio - they get the same old 8.

This was the only reason I updated so quick - it was just what I needed, and I could not interprete this as meaning anything else from the Pro Tools software feature comparison

This chart shows PT9 software as having 32 I/O, whereas PT8 doesn't. What's misleading is that they now call the software PT HD 9. The software does offer this feature, but NOT to HD hardware users! You'll need to plug in an MBox or something!!!

This chart should be altered now, and the point made very clear so that other updaters don't get stung like I have been.
Hi,

PT 9 HD does have 32 i/o capability under core audio and asio (with hardware that supports it!!)

Digi HD hardware is still 8 i/o though under core audio. but why would you want to run PT HD under core audio if you have the cards and interfaces connected? other than running another DAW (and who wants to do that)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
You guys are amazing...Max has already stated that HD isn't dead............I fail to see were any body is being robbed.
Perhaps you can explain to me why we pay more this upgrade than an LE user then.

Also I'd contend that it's the user base that decides whether or not HD is dead. In the world of music (as opposed to post) it seems to me now a simple matter of monitoring latency that separates the two 'levels' of PT software.

There is not one way on earth that divorcing the software and hardware will not affect (excuse the double negative) the sales of HD. At a minimum folk shall look at other options before buying an HD system - one would be crazy not to. And if Avid's sales turn out to be from the non HD world they will pursue that market.

If coreaudio/asio has good enough latency to monitor through surely that would spell the beginning of the end for HD - but that's a big if.

David

http://www.studioblackbox.fr
twitter: @studioblackbox
Old 11-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlum View Post
Perhaps you can explain to me why we pay more this upgrade than an LE user then.
My guess would be that Pro Tools 9 and Pro Tools 9 HD are still two different levels of the product. It's not at all uncommon for more expensive packages to cost more for upgrades than less expensive ones.

For an LE user to upgrade to 9 HD, and be able to use TDM cards, more buses, etc., it's a significantly higher price than upgrading 8 HD to 9 HD. Despite what some are complaining about, there are still distinct feature differences. Whether they are worth it is up to each of us to decide.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom View Post
My guess would be that Pro Tools 9 and Pro Tools 9 HD are still two different levels of the product. It's not at all uncommon for more expensive packages to cost more for upgrades than less expensive ones.
Yeah, but WE the HD user arent really gaining MORE product with PT9. We dont get extra HD features. As a matter of fact the ONLY gain for HD users is to use PT on Core audio....

PT LE user GAIN more by paying LESS.... They USED to have a crippled HD system now they gain access to the FULL system but PAY less.

makes no sense... At all..

This is like the LAW - Poor people slinging dope on every street corner ´get arrested and are let out immediately. If a RICH bloke pulls the same stunt, they#ll put him in Jail for 6 years and add a $100,000 fine on top of it.
Let the ONEs who can afford it, PAY - screw the rest.....

Capitalism AT ITS FINEST
Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

This is like the LAW - Poor people slinging dope on every street corner ´get arrested and are let out immediately. If a RICH bloke pulls the same stunt, they#ll put him in Jail for 6 years and add a $100,000 fine on top of it.
Let the ONEs who can afford it, PAY - screw the rest.....

Capitalism AT ITS FINEST
that's not really on point.

the jails are overflowing with poor challenged people who could never afford a lawyer

the rich ones get country club jails and shortened or suspended sentences their lawyers negotiated.

our real issues should be directly with AVID who are not working with
the Law of Cause and Affect
by not supplying their loyal professional long time customers's
reasonable demands and this is going to affect the music industry for the worst as if the industry hasn't had a big enough devastating blow to artistic credibility already.

...at some point
someone needs rise to a place in leadership in the company
and show some "response abilty" and class
to those who've supported them year after year.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:

For an LE user to upgrade to 9 HD, and be able to use TDM cards, more buses, etc., it's a significantly higher price than upgrading 8 HD to 9 HD. Despite what some are complaining about, there are still distinct feature differences. Whether they are worth it is up to each of us to decide.
My point is still that if you put both these upgrades side by side there is no way that the HD one can be seen as being more valuable than the LE.

The fact that it's not uncommon for companies to scale their charges according to their user's initial investments doesn't make it right - and in this particular instance it smacks of a certain cynicism. I contend that it would be more fitting for a company to acknowledge that investment by offering the updates for a better price - at the very least parity - but for them to ask more for an inferior update? Odd!

The etc in your post would seem to imply some treasure trove of features in 9HD - that really isn't there any more (well treasure trove may be a bit extreme, but you know what I mean). Yes you can use TDM hardware - only the next few months will tell if that makes such a difference - super low latency monitoring that works - that's the last remaining major difference. And for certain not insignificant. By the way - I'm talking about music production mainly, some of the new differences probably make more of a difference to people in post.

More busses - yes...

David
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlum View Post
The etc in your post would seem to imply some treasure trove of features in 9HD - that really isn't there any more (well treasure trove may be a bit extreme, but you know what I mean). Yes you can use TDM hardware - only the next few months will tell if that makes such a difference - super low latency monitoring that works - that's the last remaining major difference. And for certain not insignificant. By the way - I'm talking about music production mainly, some of the new differences probably make more of a difference to people in post.
I agree that it's definitely not a treasure trove. :)

As a composer that uses MIDI and VIs in Pro Tools every day, there are a lot of things I'd love to see added. For me personally, the $350 upgrade price got covered already by the work I've done since 9 came out, but I do understand people questioning the value, especially when the possible future of TDM hasn't really been addressed very clearly.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I agree that it's definitely not a treasure trove. :)

As a composer that uses MIDI and VIs in Pro Tools every day, there are a lot of things I'd love to see added. For me personally, the $350 upgrade price got covered already by the work I've done since 9 came out, but I do understand people questioning the value, especially when the possible future of TDM hasn't really been addressed very clearly.
But has it been covered because of HD9? I'd be hard pressed to think of something you just couldn't do in 8.1 that you can in 9.

I'd conjecture that Avid hasn't clearly addressed the TDM future because they're most likely waiting to see which way the wind blows themselves.

David

http://www.studioblackbox.fr
twitter: @studioblackbox