Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Default New Massey DRT is out

New Massey drum replacement plug is out. Video on the site. As usual great value at $69. Same principle as the original it seems but with new detection algos etc.

http://www.masseyplugins.com/

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Default Re: New Massey DRT is out

The histograms on the loudness and sensitivity sliders are absolutely brilliant.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
The histograms on the loudness and sensitivity sliders are absolutely brilliant.
brilliant.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Just bought it. Looks great. The print clicks thing is also a brilliant idea, at least for guys like me, that don't want to use midi.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Love the histogram based filtering. DTM has been great and this looks to be the new king.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 PM

...and you can add & subtract transient markers really easily.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 PM

First off, I'm a huge Steven Massey fan. I do, however, have a little complaint about this new, mostly awesome, plugin. I've found that, despite it's amazing detection algorithm, it does not track the dynamic range of the source track very well. The ghost note detection points are too close in dynamic level to the louder hits. I do know, of course, that you can go in and manually adjust the triggers but man is that time consuming if you have a lot of these notes going on in a performance. It'd also be great if you could group a bunch of triggers together and move them all at once. I've tried every other parameter that I can see that's available and have not been able to get a big enough dynamic range in the trigger points. Maybe it's just that I'm missing something. Any suggestion would be great.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
First off, I'm a huge Steven Massey fan. I do, however, have a little complaint about this new, mostly awesome, plugin. I've found that, despite it's amazing detection algorithm, it does not track the dynamic range of the source track very well. The ghost note detection points are too close in dynamic level to the louder hits. I do know, of course, that you can go in and manually adjust the triggers but man is that time consuming if you have a lot of these notes going on in a performance. It'd also be great if you could group a bunch of triggers together and move them all at once. I've tried every other parameter that I can see that's available and have not been able to get a big enough dynamic range in the trigger points. Maybe it's just that I'm missing something. Any suggestion would be great.
Open the velocity lane of the midi track in protools and lasso around the lower velocity ghost notes. Now you can change them as you like
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Thanks Scott, but I don't use midi to trigger samples. I use the "print clicks" feature to create a clean trigger track for Trigger, of all things. I don't trust midi triggering to be sample accurate with the original audio. But, even if I did use midi, it makes no sense to me that DRT shouldn't be capable of accurately detecting the proper and compleat dynamic range of the source audio. There really shouldn't be any need to adjust the dynamics in midi after a midi track has been generated by DRT. In lew of the detection algorithm being improved it would be a time saver if it were possible to lasso groups of selected triggers within DRT and drag down those velocities all at once.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I've found that, despite it's amazing detection algorithm, it does not track the dynamic range of the source track very well. The ghost note detection points are too close in dynamic level to the louder hits.
Hey Werner,

Thanks for bringing this up. You were right. There was some unintended compression going on. I've updated the plugin and a new installer is available for download. Hope this helps out.