Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 AM

Default MBOX AUDIO DRIVER IS NOT AN OPTION IN XP / DISTORT

Hi my name is Alex. I am new here and I could really use and would appreciate some advice from some of you. This is the issue.

I installed the audio driver and the wavedriver whatever with PT. I loaded pro tools and created a new track and it seemed fine. HOWEVER. I converted some audio files and they sounded like ass. They were distorted and timestretched and sounded awful. It sounded like a RAM problem almost, but I don't thin that's the issue because----

when I go to the control panel> Sound and video and try and select my audio I/O, The MBOX asio driver is not there. The MIDI driver shows up on midi but not the audio driver. I loaded FL Studio and it showed the MBOX ASIO driver as an option, but the couple times I tried getting playback it made the same distorted painful sound as the files I converted in Pro Tools.

SYSTEM SPECS

Mbox 2, PT7, Dell latitude d600, 1024 RAM 1.6 ghz, Digi approved 855 chipset. Windows xp pro sp2.

It aint sexy, but it should get the job done and I've run near zero latency 24 bit recording in nuendo with very little problems, so it's not cpu or Ram that's killing me.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I'm all ears, ALL I ASK IS DON'T POST ON MY THREAD WITH ANOTHER PROBLEM UNLESS IT'S THE SAME ONE figuredeal me?

Alex

[email protected]
Old 12-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Re: MBOX AUDIO DRIVER IS NOT AN OPTION IN XP / DIS

Ok I got on the phone with tech support and now the Audio plays fine in Pro Tools and Fruity loops, but I still cannot select the ASIO driver as my main windows sound device. What is much more concerning is that The mbox keeps crashing every 15 minutes and I get a windows error message stating that the device has used more than it's amount of allocated usb power. What is the deal here? It's plugged into an active port, and I have had no problem running a host of other phantom powered Interfaces and keyboards????!!?? Is it possible that this unit is just defective? Please help me out.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I still cannot select the ASIO driver as my main windows sound device.
You cannot select any ASIO driver as the default windows sound device, whether it be Digidesign's or someone else's. Windows uses the Wavedriver, not the ASIO driver.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-29-2006, 06:58 PM

that's [bleep]. I also have a steinberg mi4 and it uses the steinber 2.53 ASIO driver. That's what I was using as my main sound driver to play windows media files and real player etc.. 3rd party. Haven't you ever heard of ASIO for all? I just got off the phone with tech support and they agree that I should be able to use it as my audio input device windows and wavedriver as the output. So your like 10% right, but your 0% helpful.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 PM

ASIO4ALL uses it's own control panel to connect with programs that require the standard windows audio drivers(WDM drivers). It "pretends" to be the WDM driver and bypasses the windows Sounds and Audio Devices Properties settings altogether. It was specifically written to do that, and is the only ASIO driver that does.

My comment stands; you cannot select or use any ASIO driver from the windows Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, not even ASIO4ALL. It's just not possible.

As for the MI4, it installs WDM drivers as well as the 2.53 ASIO driver. When selecting it from the windows Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, you are using the WDM drivers, not the ASIO driver.

I also don't know what Tech Support department you were talking to, but it certainly wasn't Digidesign's or you were misunderstanding what they are saying. It is not possible to use any Digidesign hardware as the standard windows audio input. You can select the hardware for input from within a program that can use the ASIO driver, but not one that relies on the standard windows sound input.

I hope that has been more than 10% helpful to you. It seems you needed that little bit of education, since it was something you apparently knew nothing about, or were completely mistaken about.

As for your problems with your Digidesign hardware, I'm sure that someone else here will be able to overlook your rude comments and might even be able to help you out. I'm tired of doing that for ignorant pricks like you.

Good luck getting it to work; you're going to need it with that attitude.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Its often a good thing to look at the posters post count before dissin them.

I would feel about 90% stupid....

There a lot of good advice/good people here on the DUC.

Some are willing to help even when you have treated them poorly.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 PM

Not sure if this helps but here goes.

I use Acid to make my audio chops and work my samples.

The only way Acid sees Digidesign is if I open Acid first. (this is based on my experience with mbox wich is less then a month)

Once I do that, I can now listen to any audio from anypart of my computer, thus making my Mbox 2 my windows default sound device.

As for your other problem about hardware interupts let us know what the Error number you get is. If its any of the following, try this:

DAE Errors 9092, 9093, or 9094, 9129 on Windows XP systems with dual core processors.
These errors can be caused by problems with processor scheduling in dual core processors. The solution is to assign Pro Tools to run on a specific processor core.

To do this:

1. Launch Pro Tools, but do not create or open a session.

2. Right click on the Task Bar and select 'Task Manager'.

3. Click on the Processes tab, then right-click on ProToolsLE.exe and select 'Set Affinity' from the drop down menu.

4. Uncheck the box for CPU 0.

5. Click OK and close the Task Manager.

You will have to do this each time you launch Pro Tools unless you use and application like THG Task Assignment Tool.

More info on the THG Task Assignment Tool can be found here:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040528/index.html

Keywords: DigiSupKW DigiSupKW_Answerbase ; PlatformKW_Undefined ; ArticleID 21610 ; OldAnswerbaseID 30125 ;

Admin really needs to sticky this fix, because I see people asking about this almost daily.

Hope I was helpful

JGonz