Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 PM

Default A Few Upgrading To HD Questions...

So I am just about ready to make the jump from my Mix system to an HD system but I just wanted to clarify a few things first:

1) I read on the Digi HD product page that "all Pro Tools|HD core systems require the presence of at least one Digidesign HD audio interface". Do I actually need to use the Digi stuff or can I use the Apogee Rosetta 800 that I already own instead?

2) Is there an actual amount to how much more processing power HD has in comparison to Mix 24? (ie. comparible number of DSP chips, plug-ins, tracks, etc.) Is there somewhere that had charts or articles that show a comparison?

3) Has anyone done the hardware exchange? Was it relatively painless?

4) Is anyone running HD on a Powermac Dual 1 Gig Quicksilver? If so, is everything running smoothely?

5) Any old Mix people who can comment on the upgrade to HD? Is it worth it?

Thanks for everything!

Ryan
Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: A Few Upgrading To HD Questions...

Quote:

So I am just about ready to make the jump from my Mix system to an HD system but I just wanted to clarify a few things first:

1) I read on the Digi HD product page that "all Pro Tools|HD core systems require the presence of at least one Digidesign HD audio interface". Do I actually need to use the Digi stuff or can I use the Apogee Rosetta 800 that I already own instead?

You'll need to use at least one PT interface, start with 96K io, you can still use you appogee as the wodk clock. as long as you stay at 24/48

2) Is there an actual amount to how much more processing power HD has in comparison to Mix 24? (ie. comparible number of DSP chips, plug-ins, tracks, etc.) Is there somewhere that had charts or articles that show a comparison?

Check the Digi data base, it's there somewhere but the rule I think is 4-6 times more power/DSP

3) Has anyone done the hardware exchange? Was it relatively painless?\

The exchange was painless, very painless

4) Is anyone running HD on a Powermac Dual 1 Gig Quicksilver? If so, is everything running smoothely?

I started on a single 733 Quiclksilver and it worked fine, but if you want to use lots of software synths get a g-5 duel. and lots of ram, I suggest the duel 2.0 it is the cheepest deal going $ 1800.00 ish plus ram, get 3 gigs; at least

I held out forever, I think it something like the difference between HDTV and old Tube TV amazing and worth it if your are serious about your work!! Next you can lose you console!!!

Thanks for everything!

Ryan

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: A Few Upgrading To HD Questions...

Quote:

You can buy the X-HD Card and directly connect your Rosetta 800 to an HD Core card and you wouldn't need to have a Digi interface. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a Digi interface if you can because I don't think the Apogee is supported by Digi. You could just get the 96 I/O and maybe the X-HD card and you would be all set. The upgrade to HD from MIX was VERY worth it in my opinion.