Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Angry Can't Import Video?

Hi Folks -

Ran into a new error message, for me, need some help here:

"Can't import the selected video file because it does not contain any video frames."

It's a Quicktime .mov and it plays just fine in Quicktime. As a matter of fact, it had been playing just fine in the PT session up until today.

I've trashed Prefs etc.

HD2 Accel, 7.4.1 on Tiger 10.4.9, Non-Intel Dual 2Gig G5....

Thoughts? quick fixes? I'm on a deadline here

thanks,

Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 PM

PS -

It started when I opened the session, the .mov file was "missing" I relinked to the file no problem, but the video window in PT still says "No Movie Present"

thanks in advance
Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmike View Post
PS -

It started when I opened the session, the .mov file was "missing" I relinked to the file no problem, but the video window in PT still says "No Movie Present"

thanks in advance
Hi,

Did you re-link it to the original video file (the file you had before you imported it) or did you find the imported file! you would probably need to re-import the video file for PT to reference to it.

What about your back-ups or previously saved versions!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 PM

I relinked to the original file....when that still showed up as "No Movie Present" (even after an otherwise successful relink...gold infinity loops and all) I tried deleting the video track from the session, removing the file from the session, and then re-importing the original file....that's when I get the "Can't import..." error message.

BTW when I say "original file" I should note that I'm actually running off of a backup drive as I am working remotely today. I thought maybe the video files didn't transfer properly or something (oh yeah...did I mention the same problem is happening in 5 out of 6 sessions, each with different Video files, AND I CAN import other videos into these sessions no prob....just not the one's that're supposed to be in them. I can't for the life of me figure out what's different about the one session that is working properly at the mo), but again they playback fine in Quicktime.

I also tried opening the sessions on my MBox and got the same issue whatever that's worth.

Ugh! ideas?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Figured it out....

f*ing backslashes! 7.4 don't like 'em in the filename....these sessions came from a 7.3 rig which apparently doesn't have the same gripe.

it was the only thing I could find that was different about the one session that was working.

should have spotted that sooner
Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Can't Import Video?

i have no such luck, no backslashes in the file name...tried making 6-8 different quicktimes with different settings...

the DV version works on our other TDM system here...other quicktimes work in this session, other quicktimes work in other sessions...

Digi 003
PT LE v. 7.4
Mac OSX 10.4.11
Quicktime 7.4

any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 AM

It's not just backslashes. Try not to use any special characters. And that also goes for all folder names through the path. So let's say your file "good_name.dv" is in the "Video" folder, which again is in the Folder "Bad name 09/2008" - Pro Tools will have problems with that backslash in the folder name.

How are you creating the different dvs? In Quicktime? Is there enough black at the beginning and the end to cut away? Maybe the start or end got corrupted.

Hope you find the problem,
Timothy
Old 09-29-2008, 08:37 AM

yeah it was a directory it was nested in that had a slash...thanks so much!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM

This foxed me yesterday. Luckily I was brought up to be deeply suspicious of special characters and figured out the problem after only one regrettable phone call to the client....

The error message is completely inappropriate:

"Can't import the selected video file because it does not contain any video frames"

Please fix it Digi, thanks.

Matt