Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2002, 07:10 AM

Default Nuendo users out there?

The engineer in the studio where I played last week said that in his mind, Nuendo was hands down better than PTLE. Does anyone own both, and can make a fair comparison? Also, I suppose the 001 only works with PTLE right?
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 06-15-2002, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Nuendo users out there?

I have to be brief because of time. I ditched my 001 after having my patience tried for too long waiting for XP drivers. I understand they will be out soon, but I have made quite a bit of money since then using a wonderfully functioning Nuendo system. For what the 001 is, it is very good. You are basically getting great hardware with the software as more of a "bonus". However, its software limitations in the end were also a deciding factor that I simply needed more. My 001 purchase was simply in haste. Here's why I feel Nuendo is simply *much* better.

-Unlimited track count
-DirectX/VST compatability
-very expansive softsynth support/compatability
-Apogee UV22 dithering
-Auto-tune functions either real-time or offline mode
-much larger selection of available 3rd party software (yes, I know there is a lot of crap out there too, but there is much more "good stuff" out there than what Digi can offer)
- There are other things also important to me but the above are a little more critical.

Now, are we comparing apples to apples? No...and they don't claim to be direct competition. You will also have to pay a little more to enter into a Nuendo system. But, if you pick up a MOTU 828 you will end up with about the same I/O options as the Digi 001 hardware. Throw another grand down for the Nurndo software and you will have something that LE can't touch.

Part of the problem is that Digi does not offer a "bridge system" that lies between the 001 and its higher end HD system. I suppose you could try to grab a used Mix system and get a decent deal...but you are still paying a much greater amount for somthing that in the end gives you less than a Nuendo system.

If you *must* have the name Pro Tools because you think it makes you valid...then so be it. But don't forget to make sure that you only buy Neumann mics, etc...so you don't contradict yourself. Basically what I am saying is that the tool is the most important thing because it is the right tool in your hands that will help you to achieve and exceed in the end...not a logo. Also, nuendo is making quite a name for itself so don't feel like you are buying into an obscure system. I could go for a long time, but also make sure you check out the new SX system from Steinberg (the makers of Nuendo). It basically incorporates the Nuendo engine with many of the midi benefits of Cubase at an even lower cost than Nuendo.

Out of fairness and reality to Digi, they have a kick butt setup that looks great and does what it claims to do very well. I just needed more, and Digi hasn't really "kept up" to the the quickly growing available options that are out there. Again, what is most important is that you figure out what it is you need. If the 001 system gives you all of that...then get it. It is great. If you need more...don't get it...you will have regrets when you realize that something much more capable is available for a fraction of the cost more.

I guess I ended up getting more into this than I thought I would. My wife just gave birth to our fist child yesterday and I can't take my eyes off of our beautiful little daughter. Woo-hoo!!

Hope this helps bud... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2002, 10:24 AM

Well, here's what I'm in the process of doing, so I guess I'll be using both programs at once.

I'm purchasing a second pc using nuendo ONLY for vsti and Halion, so I can use Spectrasonics sound libraries.

Nuendo as a primary program over Pro Tools, I would never do. I'm not happy with the editing features and quite frankly, I think it is a more mature program, but still a non-professional DAW.

Steinberg has a way to go before they will jump into the big leagues, but I'm sure one day they will. It honestly seems that this battle between Pro Tools and Nuendo gets more publicity than the Mike Tyson fight [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I say go with what you like and what your ears tell you. The war between Pro Tools vs Nuendo should be fought by the two companies that design it and let's stop the constant postings of "what's better..Pro Tools or Nuendo" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Obviously, if we're on the Pro Tools forum, then we are (for the most part) happy with our program. The same applies to Nuendo users.

I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm just trying to say, be professional. If you want to use PT then we are all here to help and share ideas for pro tools. If you want advice regarding Nuendo, here's a link to their site http://www.nuendo.com

Good luck to you. Perhaps you can find a way to happily use both programs for your projects.

Have a great weekend! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2002, 10:28 AM

Thank you v-man for expressing this idea so elequently. Lately it's been too much like going over to the Lexus dealership and talking loudly about how superior is the BMW.
I do agree that the Spectrasonics is the most exciting thing to come down the pike in a long while, worth buying extra gear for; I'm looking at several outboard sequencers for the same purpose...
Old 06-16-2002, 12:45 AM

Hey Stone!

Man, Lexus or BMW...That's a tough choice bro!

I LOVE BMW's, but test drove the new Lexus 2-door sports car the other day. I forget the model, but it was UNREAL [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

DO you own any Spectrasonics libraries? I'm thinking my first purchase from them will be Modern Songwriter...Great Sounds!

I wish I knew a good outboard sequencer to reccommend to you, but I'm really un-hip to that.

Good luck Bro!
Old 06-16-2002, 12:50 AM

PTLE is WAY better for tracking. The routing options in PT are more advanced than Nuendo. There's just more flexability. On the other hand, I'll say it again for the 10th time, Nuendo hands down is much better for mixing than Protools.
Jayman #9
Old 06-16-2002, 05:26 AM

Also we must consider that PTLE is made for music wereas Nuendo is made for film post production. Therefore for music i think LE has the upper hand, however try and do some serious Post Production work on LE and you will agree that Nuendo has the upper hand.

Just wait a few months until SX matures and then lets compare. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2002, 07:08 AM

You guys got me all wrong. I am a 001 user, and perfectly happy with my system. I use WinME on a $300 used Gateway machine, and since I use only PTLE, it is 100% stable. So for just about $1000, I think I got the best system money can buy. The only reason I was asking about Nuendo is because I need to be able to do some work from my XP pro based laptop. So I'd like to be able to at least record 2 tracks at a time, and do editing/mixing while on the road. There simply is no date in the future that I can think of that digidesign is promising to help me, because I need:
1. LE working on XP
2. MBox running on XP
I cannot cnahe the OS of my laptop for reasons that don't need to be discussed here, so I have no idea what to do in the meantime. So I was wondering what other DAW software would work on a laptop, that would be compatible with PTLE, so I could take my tracks from the 001 and move them on the laptop and vice-versa.
Look, I have never complained about digidesign, I'm too old to get an ulcer because a company misses a software release deadline, when there never really was a deadline in the first place.
If anyone has a solution to my problem, be it Nuendo, or anything else, (but must run on XP) and it can be less than $500-700, then I would be interested. That's why I liked the idea of the MBox in the first place, but they won't weven commit to a date, however approximate. Given that my band really now has rquirements of some form of recording away from the studio, I just need something quickly.
Frankly, I have no clue what to get, because I wanted to stay in the digidesign world, but they're not moving very fast to offer a PC/XP portable solutions to some of its customers.
I guess the title of my thread was poorly chosen, as I generally don't care about controversial threads, unless they lead to people posting naked chicks pics.
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 06-16-2002, 08:21 AM

Forget Nuendo, go for Cubase SX. Its built on the Nuendo core, and taylored for music. its perfect for what you need, and it has XP support
Old 06-16-2002, 05:32 PM

If you don't need all the extra midi, DXi, VST stuff and you just want to record audio, try Vegas from Sonic Foundry. I use it about half the time (PTLE the other half) and it's rock solid for audio. Very stable, easy to use, and editing is quick.

Sure the name says Vegas Video, but turn off the video stuff and you've got a good stable DAW. True, not quite up to the ProTools level, but then
you said you just need an XP compatible program to record one or two tracks at a time and do some editing on the road.

Happy DAW searching to you.

Dave