Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 AM

Default Question For Those Having Plugin Alliance Issues

To anyone having issues with Plugin Alliance Issues with PT 12, I was wondering if you had multiple activations on your machine listed on your activations page in your Plugin Alliance Account section on their site.

What made me look is that I had exactly one occurrence of an iLok error right before getting a large amount of AAE 6 errors. It's very possible that this happened with a previous instance of a session from which my current session was built from scratch on using copied and pasted audio files only.

Anyhow, I looked on the Plugin Alliance site and got into my activations page to see if I could find a previous version newer than what I had before to roll back to. That's when I saw my plugs now all had 2 activations, and to the same machine. All of these second activations were from last week when I updated all of them. Perhaps a pointer within the code is off somehow?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Question For Those Having Plugin Alliance Issues

As a quick follow up to this, this is getting stranger and stranger. I removed duplicate devices on their site and have removed all activations of my test plug (bx_limiter). I've also uninstalled bx_limiter from my machine and verified it's gone from my plugins folder. Only thing left would be to trash preferences.

I re-Installed bx_Limiter and all is good so far. I did not even have to go through the activation process. My machine thinks that it's activated. It's working. It even saved my "<User Default>" setting while not saving another pre-set I made.

These strange errors are very often the result of lingering bits of data left here or there and s becoming obvious that I am having that kind of issue. I'll submit a ticket to PIA after I get done messing around to see what I can find.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:35 AM

I would just do a clean reinstall of Pro Tools.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:24 AM

Agreed and done. At least a few times, actually.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Which problems are you referring to?

I have 18 Plugin Alliance products installed and activated on each of my 2 machines. The only problem I run into is the mouse seems to adopt a much-reduced DPI whenever a Plugin Alliance plug-in GUI is on screen. It's driving me a bit crazy.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:54 AM

I have two mice, one for Plug-in Alliance and another for everything else. What a PITA!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I have two mice, one for Plug-in Alliance and another for everything else. What a PITA!
Are you serious? So it's not just me? I've brought it up a few times with their support, and each time they seemed to imply (or at least I inferred) that this was new to them. It's not a big enough deal to stop buying their products, but it certainly is irritating when using their products. Only happens with the AAX version, does not affect the VST.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Which problems are you referring to?

I have 18 Plugin Alliance products installed and activated on each of my 2 machines. The only problem I run into is the mouse seems to adopt a much-reduced DPI whenever a Plugin Alliance plug-in GUI is on screen. It's driving me a bit crazy.
I've nearly that many. I really get along with their plugs normally. Some here have reported AAE 6 errors with them in the folder when using PT 12X. Otherwise, a lot of instability. Odd errors, PT shutting down completely, etc.

(old developer geek speak here:
The errors act like the type that come from programmatically trying to use a file (or something) by name and not checking to see if it exists first. Invalid handle. )

PT11 was better, but not great. It might have been the same errors going along the whole time, but different error handling. I might have to punt and go back to 11 for a few more months. Too bad.

I've been putting a lot of time into trying to make sure my system is up to snuff and chasing down every rabbit hole I could find.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I've nearly that many. I really get along with their plugs normally. Some here have reported AAE 6 errors with them in the folder when using PT 12X. Otherwise, a lot of instability. Odd errors, PT shutting down completely, etc.
Are you using them in greater-than-stereo configs? That's one area where I have not yet used Plugin Alliance stuff.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Are you using them in greater-than-stereo configs? That's one area where I have not yet used Plugin Alliance stuff.
Nope, just a standard stereo.

I might have to do a clean Widows install if I want to keep 12.4 and PA. I don't think I've done one in almost 20 years when I put NT on so that I could have Pinball. I'm not even sure I remember how to do it.