Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 AM

Default Strike - adding 1/2 bar measure without remapping patterns?

I've got a song that unwittingly sounds best if I add an extra beat (1/2 bar in measure) during the breakdown - halfway through this particular song. But this extra 1/2 bar throws all my (Strike) drum patterns awry after this point in the song.

Can I adjust for this without having to rewrite patterns to suit? I've figured I can bounce down the drums and cut/paste the measure in, but I want to avoid this if possible.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Strike - adding 1/2 bar measure without remapping patterns?

Do you want Strike to play a half bar or stop?

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che_Guitarra View Post
I've got a song that unwittingly sounds best if I add an extra beat (1/2 bar in measure) during the breakdown - halfway through this particular song. But this extra 1/2 bar throws all my (Strike) drum patterns awry after this point in the song.

Can I adjust for this without having to rewrite patterns to suit? I've figured I can bounce down the drums and cut/paste the measure in, but I want to avoid this if possible.

I don't use Strike, but if I remember correctly, for your half bar just change your meter to 2/4 for one bar then back to 4/4, (assuming 4/4). Strike will follow the "one" for your patterns I believe...

Russ???
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 AM

It depends what he's trying to do...

Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che_Guitarra View Post
...this extra 1/2 bar throws all my (Strike) drum patterns awry after this point in the song...Can I adjust for this without having to rewrite patterns to suit?
At the end of the extra 1/2 bar, pencil in a "Stop Playback" command for Strike (The red key, note C1). Then, pencil in a fresh command in the next bar to restart the desired pattern.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM

It's not that simple, you need to create a meter change to take it to 2/4 then back to 4/4 and also a pattern to account for that.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM

I definitely want Strike to play that half bar. But after this point it just triggers the last half of the patterns in Strike - switching the groove from 2 and 4, to 1 and 3, likewise with the fills too - they sound more out-of-whack than the patterns.

I've tried latching/unlatching with the midi map, messing with the 'stop playback', but the patterns all adhere to the bar and beat, and I can't think of how to add the 1/2 measure within Strike.

I'm not sure i've ever messed with the time signature in PT, but a bar of 2/4 would provide the perfect solution. I'll give that a go.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
It's not that simple, you need to create a meter change to take it to 2/4 then back to 4/4 and also a pattern to account for that.
Yes, I believe you're right Russ. When I tried to answer the original poster's question, I changed the meter to 2/4, then back to 4/4, and used one long "note" that spanned all the meter changes to trigger a pattern. But that didn't work by itself.

So then I tried penciling in a "Stop Playback" command at the end of the half measure, and a new note to re-trigger the pattern, in combination with the meter changes, and it worked. In my other post, I forgot to mention that I had also inserted one measure of 2/4.

Come to think of it, instead of creating a measure of 2/4, you may be able to make a measure of 6/4 (this would account for 1 full measure plus the half measure), then back to 4/4.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM

OK - changing the meter to 2/4 for the breakdown (not just the 1/2 bar) worked a treat, but now i'm having trouble following the patterns within Strike, or more succinctly, having trouble editing the patterns to sound 'just so'.

For example - I just changed a pattern to suit, but to change the start of the pattern in playback, I had to change the last 1/4 of the pattern in Strike... now i'm getting lost!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdugan View Post
Come to think of it, instead of creating a measure of 2/4, you may be able to make a measure of 6/4 (this would account for 1 full measure plus the half measure), then back to 4/4.
I thought about that, but as I said, I'm not a Strike user, so I'm not 100% sure.

However with 6/4 you would have to write a new pattern to account for the extra two beats. with a measure of 4/4, 2/4, 4/4 it would just stop the existing pattern halfway through and start again on one.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!