Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 05:28 PM

Default How to hook up home stereo to my studio monitors

I want to ditch my old stereo speakers because basically they suck compared to my KRK Rokit 5 monitors. Is there an easy way to run my home stereo through these monitors? I noticed there is an unbalanced RCA in on the back of my monitors, but the only thing I can plug into this with the cables I have is the tape out on the stero, and doing this, I just get a bunch of noise. Any ideas? Am I a total dumbass?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: How to hook up home stereo to my studio monitors

asiabackpacker

If your Stereo or Headunit has RCA outputs, you'll need to be able to control the output signal before it reachs your monitors. Not only this but you really don't want to be stuffing around changing cables with your monitors each time you run the Stereo or use Pro Tools. I use a Mackie Big Knob for my central control system. Which I have pluged into it my Headunit (CD player) Audio output from my computers soundcard, Mbox direct, running into two pair of different monitors, you can have up to four output routings. It's great no stuffing around with cables and what not, just press a button here and a button there ...done.

Thats how I go about it, that doesn't mean that it's the best way, I think you'll find lots of different ways of going about it, and you'll also find your way of going about it that best suits your needs.

Hookup Picture

filosofem

Old 04-24-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: How to hook up home stereo to my studio monito

Nice looking unit. I like mackie. I have the Baby HUI (discontinued now) works a treat.

I had the same problem with masses of inputs and went semi-pro (more like semi-demi-pro really ) and got a Soundcraft Compact 4, which is a cheaper unit too. Nice thing about this is that it's designed to be part of a small DAW and has dedicated computer line-in and outs, as well as a DI button, and a setting for a vinyl record deck. I was worried about noise at that price, but it sounds clean to me. It's also a revelation to move over to a proper monitoring amp which doesn't have tone controls so you know the sound that's coming out of the PC is exactly what you've recorded and not been affected by the tone settings on your amp (in theory). The 'tone controls' for the CD player, radio, etc. are now on the mixer.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:36 AM

Karel
Quote:
(more like semi-demi-pro really )
Is that semi-demi or demi-semi
Quote:
Soundcraft Compact 4, which is a cheaper unit too. Nice thing about this is that it's designed to be part of a small DAW and has dedicated computer line-in and outs, as well as a DI button, and a setting for a vinyl record deck.
Do you run this before your Pro Tools hardware?
Quote:
It's also a revelation to move over to a proper monitoring amp which doesn't have tone controls so you know the sound that's coming out of the PC is exactly what you've recorded and not been affected by the tone settings on your amp (in theory).
Isn't that way some Control systems come with DAC (Digital to Analog Converts)?

filosofem

Old 04-24-2006, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Do you run this before your Pro Tools hardware?
Before. I have a 001, so 4 leads plug 'permanently' into the back. However it's easy enough to plug anything into the front of the 001 if I want to bypass the Compact 4 if I'm ever worried about unwanted signal-to-noise.

On another bootable partition I have the option of plugging in an old MBox to take advantage of some of the features of PT7.1, but I'll stick with the 001 for tracking cos it's all ready-to-go. Don't ask me about transferring files between the two, haven't got round to that yet, but I can't see there being any probs.

Wish this whole dual/quad processor, new generation of windows capable Intel Macs, Vista/Longhorn thing, and then the inevitable PT8 would just be over and done with so I could upgrade the PC (or go over to Mac) without anything I buy becoming the next generation of junk within a couple of months. Already I find I can't play Quake4 on what was yesterday's wizz-bang grahics card. Q4 was my Xmas present to myself!

demi-semi...? Never could get that right.

What was the topic of this thread?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:58 AM

Karel

Hijacked another one.
Quote:
Don't ask me about transferring files between the two, haven't got round to that yet, but I can't see there being any probs.
Yeah this is a interesting one, I'm not sure if there is compatibility between 6.x and 7.x
I see a lot of questions regarding this but not a lot of answers.
Quote:
Wish this whole dual/quad processor, new generation of windows capable Intel Macs, Vista/Longhorn thing, and then the inevitable PT8 would just be over and done with so I could upgrade the PC (or go over to Mac) without anything I buy becoming the next generation of junk within a couple of months.
Like wise ...but I think I'll just take the plunge, I sort of need the quad power now. I'm finding I'm wasting a lot of energy with sub mixes and losing a lot of creativity in the process, it's very restricting. Definitely no power to create.
Quote:
demi-semi...? Never could get that right.
Yeah well you probably could at a bpm of 60 or 80.
Quote:
What was the topic of this thread?
Actually I think that the topic has been covered quite well and some.

filosofem

Old 04-24-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Actually I think that the topic has been covered quite well and some.
That was always my philosophy - answer the question then veer off in whatever direction the mood takes you...

But people still complain...
Old 04-24-2006, 05:54 AM

Quote:
But people still complain...
Can't please everybody.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah this is a interesting one, I'm not sure if there is compatibility between 6.x and 7.x
I see a lot of questions regarding this but not a lot of answers.

post your query..
OH..and don't fall into K_B's web..

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 AM

Web?
Quote:
I'm not sure if there is compatibility between 6.x and 7.x
I'm sure it's just a case of selcting a particular Save option. Compatability has been there since 5.4 (who would know? Rail?). It's one of PT's strong points.