Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Re: PT12 - "freeze track" feature

Is track freeze really that useful for people now? I would have welcomed this feature 5 years ago but my PC never struggles for CPU power and it's nearly 5 years old now. I imagine a lot of people are in the same position. I'm not sure I would ever even use this feature and it's the only one in PT12 that looks even remotely interesting.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenre View Post
Is track freeze really that useful for people now? I would have welcomed this feature 5 years ago but my PC never struggles for CPU power and it's nearly 5 years old now. I imagine a lot of people are in the same position. I'm not sure I would ever even use this feature and it's the only one in PT12 that looks even remotely interesting.
I think the only time I would use it would be for VI's. This would come in useful, for me anyway.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 AM

if it works on AUX tracks, then it will be really useful for stems. I can see myself using track freeze multiple times a day, I'm glad it has been officially confirmed.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 AM

I guess that's the question. How exactly are they going to implement it?

Communication from Avid has been so unbelievably poor.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
if it works on AUX tracks, then it will be really useful for stems. I can see myself using track freeze multiple times a day, I'm glad it has been officially confirmed.
In this case would freeze be dependent on whether you have vi's in the feeder tracks or would it be audio only?

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In this case would freeze be dependent on whether you have vi's in the feeder tracks or would it be audio only?
I imagine it would be similar to non-realtime BTD, with automatic "import to new audio track" and disable the AUX. I would hope that the feeder tracks would be disabled if they output to the aux.

The question I have is how sends will be handled with track freeze. If I freeze a track with sends on it, will those sends be deactivated and then instantiated on my new "frozen" audio track? If I can freeze a track fed by sends, is the send deactivated? If so, how does this mesh with multiple AUX tracks that receive from the same bus? Basically, is track freeze 1:1 when it comes to session management and routing?

Lots of questions. I think they probably won't have track freeze on AUX tracks because of the various complications mentioned above.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I imagine it would be similar to non-realtime BTD, with automatic "import to new audio track" and disable the AUX. I would hope that the feeder tracks would be disabled if they output to the aux.

The question I have is how sends will be handled with track freeze. If I freeze a track with sends on it, will those sends be deactivated and then instantiated on my new "frozen" audio track? If I can freeze a track fed by sends, is the send deactivated? If so, how does this mesh with multiple AUX tracks that receive from the same bus? Basically, is track freeze 1:1 when it comes to session management and routing?

Lots of questions. I think they probably won't have track freeze on AUX tracks because of the various complications mentioned above.
That sends deal is something I hadn't thought about but could be dangerous if not done and explained correctly. And therein lies the rub - explaining things correctly as to what can and can't be done.

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:56 PM

This is a pretty big feature to me. Great for making stems or just spitting out a part to someone. Also good for VIs that don't always behave. Freeze it and stop the guesswork. Definitely useful for collaboration purposes.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenre View Post
It's so much more than you can imagine. Trust me.

Besides the usual freeing up of CPU power, it also makes things so much simpler.

Imagine taking all your drum tracks and sending them to a buss and processing it all to one track. Never to be unfrozen til the mix. Your tracks are so much less to look at.

Same thing with the Bass tracks. Boom. Now your Bass and Drums are on two tracks until the mix.

Same with FX. Hopefully. Imagine getting a really cool FX on a guitar but it's memory intensive. Just print all the FX.

Imagine cutting all the vocals with only 5 or 6 faders to balance. Think of how much quicker it would be to set up headphone mixes.

I promise you, once you have it, you won't remember how you lived without it.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I promise you, once you have it, you won't remember how you lived without it.

Why do you say so? B/c reaper has it and it works great?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.