Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 06:54 PM

Default Re: PROBLEM PLAYING CD\'S ON CAR STEREO

I've been having problems playing CD-R's in my car lately... They will normally play, but sometimes eject them, and other times I want to rewind a section in my car, and it instead goes forward and hangs.

Then I wondered what those Memorex black CD's were all about. Well, they work great. No more problems. And they look cool.

If that doesn't fix it, try another writer.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:12 PM

Some CD Players do not know how to handle CD-Rs.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:55 AM

Default PROBLEM PLAYING CD\'S ON CAR STEREO

I have a client woh cant't play the CD's I've made for her on her car CD player. Her home player works fine (as does mine) .
CD:s were made using the following:
created in Logic/Mastered in Pro Tools/burnt with Masterlist CD 1.4.1 Using the default preferences of 2 second spacing and 15 frame acess with a Riccoh MP6200S...Media - Maxell/Fuji
By the way if she presses track 2 it will play.It just won't see track one. I am about to try Taiyo Yuden blanks.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:25 AM

Some car units, boom boxes and older/worn units have trouble playing the gold dye CD-Rs.
Change to the light green TY's or the pale yellow/silver. It's the color that causes the problem 99% of the time. The only other reason would be if your burner's tracking is off. The gold dye can also cause the sound to be a bit harsh on the high end due to mistracking though they are fine for PMCDs and the manufactured CD sounds good. I've burned over 10k of the TY's and only one had a problem and I think it was due to the CD Player being a bit out of tolerance.

Russ [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 01:33 PM

I confirm that there is a good chance that it may be media related, and that "pale yellow/silver" work best (notably Mitsui).

My car stereo hates all gold/green and blue dyes (verbatim etc.)
Old 03-09-2002, 08:36 AM

Results with different burner/player combinations will be different, but after extensive testing, I found the most reliable disks to be the Mitsui CD-Rs.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 03-09-2002, 09:06 AM

Don't problems like these sometimes have to do with the speed at which you burn the CD? I've found that CD's that I burn at 4x, or sometimes even 2x, won't play in my CD Walkman when I have the memory buffer function enabled. But when I burn them at 1x they work pretty much everywhere.