Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2022, 02:54 AM

Default New PT Studio License - Sub or Perpetual

Seeing as there are still available PT Studio perpetual licenses and the recent change to perpetual status, if going to PT Studio with a fresh license would you go Subscription or Perpetual? Money aside?

I am guessing a subscription would be the smarter move considering that is where Avid is pushing folks as users, with associated rewards?
Old 05-07-2022, 06:42 AM

Default Re: New PT Studio License - Sub or Perpetual

I would still go with Perpetual. If I decide to stop the annual support/upgrade and let it expire at some point, at least I can still use the frozen version. With a subscription, once I discontinue and it expires, I can't use the program at all.

Having said that, the subscription model does allow me to resubscribe at a later time with no penalty if I want to use Protools again (and get to update to the latest version). Historically, Avid has occasionally offered reinstatements for perpetual licenses to allow people with expired perpetual licenses to get back on the plan and update to the current version, but at a higher price (penalty). I guess it all comes down to your risk tolerance (or risk aversion depending on how you look at it).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-07-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Having said that, the subscription model does allow me to resubscribe at a later time with no penalty if I want to use Protools again (and get to update to the latest version). Historically, Avid has occasionally offered reinstatements for perpetual licenses to allow people with expired perpetual licenses to get back on the plan and update to the current version, but at a higher price (penalty). I guess it all comes down to your risk tolerance (or risk aversion depending on how you look at it).
If you do the maths, it's actually pretty close. A reinstatement is only $50 more than an annual sub. And for every year you skip as a perpetual license holder, you still get a fully working pro tools.

Perpetual inc 1 year support - $599
Perpetual annual support - $199
Annual subscription - $299
Perpetual reinstatement - $349

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-07-2022, 09:24 AM

One more factor to consider: If for some unfortunate reason, Avid goes out of business or discontinues Protools. Once the subscription license expires, you can't renew and you can no longer use Protools. On the perpetual license, it will also expire and you can't renew, but you can still use the current version of Protools indefinitely and finish projects in progress until you are able to find a suitable replacement. I know this scenario is unlikely, but it has happened with other popular DAWs in my lifetime to products like Opcode, Cakewalk, Voyetra, etc.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-07-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
One more factor to consider: If for some unfortunate reason, Avid goes out of business or discontinues Protools. Once the subscription license expires, you can't renew and you can no longer use Protools. On the perpetual license, it will also expire and you can't renew, but you can still use the current version of Protools indefinitely and finish projects in progress until you are able to find a suitable replacement. I know this scenario is unlikely, but it has happened with other popular DAWs in my lifetime to products like Opcode, Cakewalk, Voyetra, etc.
Very good point here. I really can´t find anything attractive for the customer with subscription.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Very good point here. I really can´t find anything attractive for the customer with subscription.
Unless there is more incentive to be a subscriber. 3rd party stuff etc
Old 05-08-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Unless there is more incentive to be a subscriber. 3rd party stuff etc

Right now everything that is included in the PT Studio Subscription is included with the PT Studio Perpetual License. As long as your Software Updates + Support Plan for the PT Studio Perpetual License remains active, software-wise there is no difference between the two that I can think of aside from price. Though having a Perpetual License is priceless in my eyes.

Subscription $299 a year
Perpetual License $599 + 1 year of Software Updates + Support Plan.
Each additional year of Software Updates + Support Plan is $199 year for Perpetual License holders if you don't let the plan lapse.
Get Current Updates + Support Plan is $349 if your plan lapse for the 1st year and thereafter it returns to $199 a year if it doesn't lapse again.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Right now everything that is included in the PT Studio Subscription is included with the PT Studio Perpetual License. As long as your Software Updates + Support Plan for the PT Studio Perpetual License remains active, software-wise there is no difference between the two that I can think of aside from price. Though having a Perpetual License is priceless in my eyes.

Subscription $299 a year
Perpetual License $599 + 1 year of Software Updates + Support Plan.
Each additional year of Software Updates + Support Plan is $199 year for Perpetual License holders if you don't let the plan lapse.
Get Current Updates + Support Plan is $349 if your plan lapse for the 1st year and thereafter it returns to $199 a year if it doesn't lapse again.
I sort of asked this in the other perpetual thread ... are Reinstatement Licenses ONLY from 3rd Party Dealers ?? or is AVID selling them Direct ?? thank you John

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-09-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
I sort of asked this in the other perpetual thread ... are Reinstatement Licenses ONLY from 3rd Party Dealers ?? or is AVID selling them Direct ?? thank you John
From what I understand the option to purchase a Get Current Software Updates + Support Plan will only be available in your Avid Master Account's PT Software section once your current PT Perpetual License plan has lapsed and exceeded the 30 Day grace period.
You can buy it from a retailer at any time and use it in the future. Just hold on to the code and don't activate it until you actually need it.

PT|Carbon Perpetual Parachute License renewal/get current price is the same at $249 a year.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.