Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2002, 05:04 PM

Default mastering software

As I have posted here before, the wav files that I get as result of bouncing down from PT are quite soft compared with the volume of a typical CD. It is for that reason (and several others) that I'm looking into buying mastering software.

I was wondering if anyone here has used Sonic Foundry's CD Architect (I'm considering version 5.0) and what they think of it. Also, I'm open to any suggestions for what software to buy, as long as it's within my price range, which is basically about $400 or less.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Re: mastering software

OK, here's the typical mastering disclaimer: Mastering should be left to professional mastering engineers and unless you are one, a piece of software will not make your file professional quality.

Phew!

OK, now to be helpful. What you need to make your files as loud as the pros is a process called brickwall limiting. Limiting is only a part of what a mastering engineer can do. Note, I said as loud as the pros, but I didn't say as good as the pros. Check out iZotope's Ozone and IK Multimedia's T-RackS. I have both and I like Ozone for sweetening the file via EQs and multiband compression. I like T-RackS for its output section. Both will give you brickwall limiting. Waves L1 Ultramaximizer is also a good brickwall limiter. I'm awaiting my order of the Waves L1 and from trying out the demo, I may end up using L1 for the output section instead of T-RackS. Speaking of demos, download them and try them. FWIW, T-RackS is easier to get started with than Ozone, but if I could only choose one, I'd get Ozone.

Ozone's manual, which you can download for free, is actually a pretty good intro to mastering and I highly recommend you reading that first before buying anything to give you a better idea what mastering is.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:28 PM

T-Racks
Old 12-09-2002, 11:41 PM

You cant beat Wavelab 4 for mastering/stereo editing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 12:31 AM

MAXIM. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 AM

I think the Waves stuff is probably the best stuff out there. And their mastering package can be ordered through Musicians Friend for about $300.00 Their Gold bundle which I use here at work, and is quite powerful, can be had for $750.00
However, there are some decent cheaper products that can help you considerably. Ozone is one I like a bit for the money. But I prefer Dave Browns brickwall limiter. It has a really good look-ahead algorithm that allows you to really limit severely without distortion. It's really quite amazing for the price. He has a package of 4 plugins including that one for about $99.ooUS. Check them out before you buy.
Remember, that you can get your mix to be as loud as you need, but that may not be what your mix really needs to sound good. There is a tremendous movement in the commercial music industry to way way way over compress and limit material to get it louder sounding to the ear regardless of quality degredation. I think some of that movement is going to sway back the other way toward music with more dynamic range and a little less "loudness" overall for the sake of quality. A lot of mastering engineers are beginning to complain loudly about this really annoying trend, and it will take time, but they will educate the producers to what they are giving up in quality for this overall loudness, and hopefully, the trend will swing back a bit the other way. Anyway, that's a whole other subject. The point is, be careful not to squash and limit the life out of your mixes for the sake of overall loudness perception.
Anyway, if you feel the need to limit, check this out...
http://www.db-audioware.com/index.html
Old 12-10-2002, 01:12 PM

For $118 I use Cooledit 2000 with the Audio Cleanup plug-in. It works great for setting the volume,limiting, compression, and even noise reduction. Also can save as an MP3 file if
you need that.
It's by Syntrillium Software.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the answers, guys. I should probably clarify a couple of things. First of all, I don't necessarily need to do "full" mastering. This would by no means replace a pro's help if I were going to put out a CD or something.

Thing is, I don't generally put any compression or limiting on my master faders, thus I retain a wide range of dynamics (which I'm all for). The problem is that, because of that, my resulting bounces are REALLY soft -- as in about a third of the volume of a typical CD. You have to turn the volume on your CD player up so loud that you get speaker hiss.

So I want software for two things: 1) to boost the overall volume of my final mixes, and 2) to do some normalizing among my songs. I don't need anything with a zillion other functions. Like I said, I'd leave that to the pros.

I'm looking for something that will properly carry out those functions, is not too expensive and is (preferably) user-friendly.

If that changes any of your suggestions, let me know. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:45 AM

If you are going to get a limiting pluggin, I would really suggest waves L2, It is the big brother of the L1 and in my opinion sounds much better. I don't do a final bounce without one, or any of the other pluggins that come with the waves mastering bundle. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 06:17 AM

All of the above suggestions are great and should cover all your needs, so I'll just give my usual advice concerning process. The most important tool
is your ears. But here's some real advice you can implement.
A great introductory signal chain to basic mastering would include the following stages:

1) Multiband EQ (the mix must be balanced before applying any subsequent stages or flaws will become magnified) Use multiband parametric EQ's to tweak the sound to your liking, and also remove some of the technically unnecessary frequencies(harshness and muddiness) to improve clarity.(multiband parametric is indispensible for this) Compare your spectrum analysis to a commercial mix for assistance.(Free filter rules for this, and will morph your mix to the proper eq curve that you can dictate)
Most eqs will impart their own "sound" on the material so experiment with different brands.(Much easier with today's software than yesteryear's multithousand dollar hardware.)
2) Multi-band compression. This will help your mix sound smoother. Like EQ,each has their own sound, so experiment.
3) Multi-band limiting. Gets the volume up to where it is comparable to commercial mixes without clipping.
4) Final limiting (single band)(optional) optimizes the final volume of the mix, that in your face, make your ears bleed, mental fatigue, aspect that most clients demand.

All of the above software provides these stages in different ways. I have used it all, and they all sound great if applied right.
The big difference is how complicated it can get.
Nothing gives the control of Waves plug ins and analysis when mastering(short of a high end workstation) but learning to process all the stages takes some technical saavy.
Nothing is easier than T-racks, especially if you like that analog vintage tube sound. The biggest benefit here though is that you can put in your mix and then adjust all the stages easily on the screen in front of you as you listen to the final mix. Simple and intuitive. But the eq sounds great and I use it to final balance the mix but you must use a more detailed/flexible eq first to satisfy the technical demands of most mixes. Also what you hear during the previewing will differ slightly from the printed master due to rounding off to simplify the real time processing during preview. adjust as necessary.

For now use what you have to learn the processes, and then buy what will suit your needs as your skills develop. We all have our favorites, but the process is really manufacturer independant. Pro Tools LE comes stock with enough tools to get you started, so go nuts.

Good luck
Chopper
Black Pug Digital Discworks-Chicago

www.evilchopper.com