Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Creating "track" milestones...

OK.. I'm showing my stupid here again.. and I'm not really sure how to even ask..

I have a conference coming up where I will record a single mic voice only. The speaker will speak anywhere from 1-2.5 hours at each session. There will be 5 sessions total.

I will record each session at 16 bit 44.1 and save as a WAV file. The following week I will bring up the first session and set to cleaning out the background noise, adding compression to flatten things out, and just tidy things up in general. Then I will top and tail each session and save as a mono WAV master file to be burned to CD.

NOW we get to my question(s)....

What program would the happy DUC community suggest I use to sort out (ie: master) these files for CD format?
Since these are very long files, how can I place 'milestone markers' at say, 10 minute intervals so that someone can just use the 'next track' function of their CD player to move forward? Would it just be easier to chop up the original file into 10 minute segments and fade the regions? I would like the speech to flow uninterupted but I could, I suppose, chop the files at sentance ends...

Suggestions?

(and thanks!)
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Creating "track" milestones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
OK.. I'm showing my stupid here again.. and I'm not really sure how to even ask..

I have a conference coming up where I will record a single mic voice only. The speaker will speak anywhere from 1-2.5 hours at each session. There will be 5 sessions total.

I will record each session at 16 bit 44.1 and save as a WAV file. The following week I will bring up the first session and set to cleaning out the background noise, adding compression to flatten things out, and just tidy things up in general. Then I will top and tail each session and save as a mono WAV master file to be burned to CD.

NOW we get to my question(s)....

What program would the happy DUC community suggest I use to sort out (ie: master) these files for CD format?
Since these are very long files, how can I place 'milestone markers' at say, 10 minute intervals so that someone can just use the 'next track' function of their CD player to move forward? Would it just be easier to chop up the original file into 10 minute segments and fade the regions? I would like the speech to flow uninterupted but I could, I suppose, chop the files at sentance ends...

Suggestions?

(and thanks!)
Only one I know of that does the redbook index points is Peak. There may be others..

That's at least a starting point for some research...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM

If you are on a PC, then Wavelab will do that. I think CD Architect will too but I'm not positive. If you can, I would split the mic to 2 or 3 inputs and set each at a different GAIN(1 a little extra hot and 1 a little cold). That way, if the speaker suddenly "emotes" and gets loud, you can paste from the cold track if the regular track clips. Likewise, if the speaker strays off mic a bit, the hotter track might save the day in editing.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you are on a PC, then Wavelab will do that. I think CD Architect will too but I'm not positive. If you can, I would split the mic to 2 or 3 inputs and set each at a different GAIN(1 a little extra hot and 1 a little cold). That way, if the speaker suddenly "emotes" and gets loud, you can paste from the cold track if the regular track clips. Likewise, if the speaker strays off mic a bit, the hotter track might save the day in editing.

DUDE!!!! That's a brilliant idea.. Mucho Gracias!

As for the 'can' part.. I'll be using Rea"cough"per to record onto a laptop so I can record it to a hundred tracks if I want .

All of my editing, etc.. will be in PT though.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Well, so much for that idea.. I REALLY should learn to think before speaking... Though I have unlimited tracks to record to, I only have one IN on the lappy.. If I do this on a regular basis I'll have to get an interface of some sort that will allow me more inputs..

FASTER... This is why I bought Reaper. I needed something that I could install and that would work the first time with my lappy without spending days tweaking it. All up took less than ten minutes from buy-to-fly, and hasn't given me a single problem yet. If only PT did that... Still, I love to edit in PT. I've picked up a few cool edit tips lately that have made me want to spend even more time putting the ginsu to the audio tracks.. )

Thanks again fellas!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Only one I know of that does the redbook index points is Peak. There may be others..

That's at least a starting point for some research...
Flommer, thanks! I will start there. Always learning new things...

Peace!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 AM

Honestly, and I hate to say this, but use Reaper. I record band reheasals on my laptop with Reaper and devde them and burn them so easily, that it is stupid. I use PT for complicated work and Reaper for the simple stuff.