Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Volume data corruption

I'm having problems with a PT file where certain tracks volume automation gets corrupted. After working on the file I save and come back to the session later. The affected tracks volume automation has shifted in time to the right beyond the boundary of the end of the tune, making the automation useless.

I've been able to correct this by trashing the databases on the disk containing the file prior to launching the file. However, the problem keeps recurring and now after trashing databases, repairing disk permissions, and following all the troubleshooting tips (other than uninstalling and reinstalling PT) the volume graph fails to move back to its proper location. My mix is sunk!

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

PT 7.1cs10
OS 10.4.6
PT HD3 Accel
G5 2.0 dual (2nd gen) w/ 2.5 GB RAM
(4) ext. Firewire 800 120GB drives
Command 8
Digi 192 i/o

Thanks for your responses in advance!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Volume data corruption

This is probably not it, but is there any possibility that some controller in your system is generating additional, unintended volume control data? Sometimes, controller #7 is assigned to multiple controls on MIDI controllers (like a foot pedal, and a slider). If you happen to have a slightly flaky pot on one of these controllers, it could be toggling back and forth between two values, and overwriting intended data.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 PM

Lee, thanks for your response! No... I have no MIDI controllers generating #7... the volume data is not being overwritten but moved forward in the timeline way past the end of the song into the netherlands... it only happens on certain tracks... one track is an instrument track with Xpand VI...
Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Lee, thanks for your response! No... I have no MIDI controllers generating #7... the volume data is not being overwritten but moved forward in the timeline way past the end of the song into the netherlands... it only happens on certain tracks... one track is an instrument track with Xpand VI...
Man, I think I'm seeing this here as well. I see it mostly on OMFs I get from avid editors. I just thought the avid guy was on crack or something. I've been working with this company for three years and have never seen automation so messed up. This all happened after I upgraded to 7.2 and still in 7.3. Want I'm seeing sounds the same thou. Volume automation moved to the right / ahead. After i start to mix the show, I haven't seen it shift. Weird
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Bump
Old 12-24-2006, 02:24 PM

bump redux