How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Selling licence not related to any hardware

Hello,

I just sold my PT10 licence and already transferred to the iLock to the new owner who can now happily work with it.
We filled also the "transfer of ownership" form and here starts the hell:

I bought PT7 M-powered few years ago, boxed with no hardware, as we could do with no problem, then I bough an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge separately and lived happy for a while.
Last December I cross-graded to the new PT10 that doesn't need any hardware and kept using my M-Audio with no problem.
Then I decided to sell the software (that is not attached to any hardware) and a lovely guy bought it.
He just called the UK support and has been treated very rudely and not nice at all, just because the form is requiring to write down also the hardware and its serial number to it.
That means they are forcing me to sell MY hardware, that I don't want to sell, to him, that doesn't want it, and it is NOT connected at all to the software, so it wouldn't work anyway bureaucratic-wise.
I just tried to call the UK support myself but they are shut ad before being treated like an idiot, tomorrow, because of their lacking bureaucracy, I would like to know if someone had this same experience and how has been sorted out and in case what's the name of lovely person we can call at Avid UK who can help us out with this issue and be happy PT users?

Thanks a lot.

Ema
Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Selling licence not related to any hardware

How did you do the crossgrade to PT10? Since M-Powered 7 was Ilok based, you would have surrendered the 7 license on your Ilok to get 10, which would mean the 7 license no longer exists, thus making it impossible to then sell. Do you mean you gave the new buyer of 7 the actual physical discs only?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Let me recap

he sold Pro tools 10. not 7.

He bought pro tools 7 disks in a box ( with no hardware). He bought an interface separately ( doesnt matter it was an M Audio Profire). He used the 7 license to upgrade to 10. He has now sold 10 privately. Now avid wants the interface he bought separately to be part of the 10 software he sold.

The interface and his 7 software were not bundled together or tied to each other in any way.

New buyer can not register the pro tools 10 with Avid UK without a hardware serial for some reason. Avid Uk is being rude to buyer.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 AM

Correct Chris.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Just to answer my question,

this morning I called the UK support and they answered my question.

They don't encourage the sell of the software between users BUT who got the iLock with the licence, owns it.

---
As we discussed over the phone, for the upgrade process is not required to have the Pro Tools registered. The only thing required is to have access to the iLok account on which the Pro Tools license is deposited.

You can find more information about the Transfer of Ownership policy by visiting the below link:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en363631

----

Ema