Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2023, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Activity Memory at 100% on One Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermid View Post
Yeah,

The only pop up error I get is from Pro Tools, saying it's running low on RAM. A previous post mentioned adding more RAM, that could be my next move. But you bring an interesting point about the meters. I've heard there is a way on Mac's to fool the meters to avoid these errors, partly, because as you mentioned sometimes the meters are giving false or inacurate values. Have you ever heard of this trick?
OK that's all helpful info. And sorry for misreading your post before.

So 16GB may well to little memory for what you ultimately want to do with VIs, but this is a sample based VI that the manufacturer claims runs in as little as 4GB of memory. I would hope it runs fine in 16GB or memory if only as a test/with not other plugins installed. With only 16GB I'd make sure the Pro Tools disk cache is set to 'Normal' not a value.

I would do some tests trying to prove/disprove if this is a plugin problem (which might possibly be a problem tripped up by this or some specific version of Pro Tools). What I'd try: move all .aaxplugins except this one out of the plugin folder, then trash prefs and starting with a new empty plugin session can you get this memory problem to reoccur? If so that's something you should really push on the plugin vendor to look at in more detail, tell them exactly how you reproduce it, include mention of the Pro Tools error message. Even if it's something Pro Tools is doing wrong internally you'll likely to make more progress with the plugin vendor, and it's more likely to be something they are doing wrong. It's also likely just not a common plugin so you may not find other folks using it, and the vendor may not have lots of real-world coverage on different DAWs/versions.

Is there any settings at all for this plugin? Esp. something like streaming cache size? I'd try setting anything interesting looking there to small values and see if the problem goes away. Ideally also you can find if/where the plugin is storing preferences and trash those.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:18 PM

You make a good point about the vendor. The plug in does have some streaming setting, but very limited. I messed with those. I can tell that uninstalling this plug in stops the issues. So I agree when you see it could be the vendor plug in that is having the issue. In either case, a RAM upgrade is probably needed as well.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
... I can tell that uninstalling this plug in stops the issues. So I agree when you see it could be the vendor plug in that is having the issue ...
Next reinstall, try a different host – a free upgrade from UVI to Gorilla-Engine for all customers who own the UVI versions of Virharmonic Bohemian Cello:
https://virharmonic.reamaze.com/kb/g...gorilla-engine

https://gorilla-engine.com/

Note:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...f?v=1676046194
Do not install the sample files to any restricted locations or cloud syncing folders like: Program Files, Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 03-05-2023, 10:55 AM

Hi unkJE,

Yeah, I saw the upgrade, unfortunately, my OS is High Sierra and v4 of Bohemian has to be a higher OS. For me to make an upgrade to the OS requires me buying Apple's new and very expensive metal video card. I've seen some used ones popping up and might consider that, but I'd also have to buy more RAM to accommodate the new video card.

I was hoping Pro Tools would have liked the UVI interface, since they already use it for their Falcon player. Go figure.

I definitely like the upgrade to v4 for Bohemian cause, I think now, it also includes a quartet option, instead of just solo cello.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:54 AM

Quote:
... my OS is High Sierra ...
I contacted UVI and explained your OS is High Sierra. Their reply:

“UVI Workstation is now officially supported on MacOS 10.14 systems and higher versions but we have a few happy MacOS 10.13 users who are able to use the latest version of UVI Workstation so I suggest the user installs the latest version of our free player UVI Workstation with UVI Portal and test it on his computer with the free library Falcon Preset Tour in order to make sure that it works on his setup.”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!