Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2001, 11:24 AM

Default Import/export Midi files- Where are they?

This has me stumped? I creatd a new session and simply want to import some midi files from another session I was working on. When I use the import midi files command, no midi files show in the dialog box. I then went to the session with the midi files and tried to export midi files and still no files show in the dialog box. I know the files are someplace, because they play fine in the session- 5 of them. I don't see a midi folder either, just the Audio and crossfades folder. Isn't there suppose to be a midi folder?

Then I closed PTLE and did a search of all my drives for midi files, and the only files that appeared were midi files and demos from the SB Live card. So I opened PTLE and was able to import the files fine and they played OK, although the preset sounds didn't transfer very well. So, I then decided to export the SB Live files that just played and they didn't show in the export midi files dialog box either. Still no midi folder, either.

Either I am missing something very simple in the import/export process, or PTLE is doing something wierd. I recently upgraded to 5.1.1, but I had previously not imported or exported midi files in 5.1.

So to explain what I am doing: I opened a session with several midi tracks that play just fine. I then choose "File", then "Export Midi" and a dialog box shows, but no midi files listed, nor a Midi folder. Can't find them anywhere in any folders. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Import/export Midi files- Where are they?

2 ways.

1). Open the session that contains the midi files you want to "export". Choose export and carefully navigate to the intended folder for storing you midi files. Remember this location. Close session and open the session where you want to "import" these files. Choose import midi and navigate again to that folder where you put them.

2). Open the session where you want to import to. Then choose File>import track and choose the source session and which tracks (midi) you wish to use.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:14 PM

Thanks Seven. I checked both methods and they work fine. I guess I was expecting the midi files to be listed in the session folder just like audio files are. I see now the export process actually creates the midi files and places them into the target folder. In the first method, you really don't get to choose. I prefer your second method because you can actually choose audio files, midi files, or both together. Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:19 PM

Your welcome. It's nice to be of assistance.