Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: OT - "The days are over for a pure recording studio," says founder of Digidesign

"Man , you're really are gonna be rich soon!!! "

As far as I'm concerned I'm rich already (is that the goal?). I've got a protools rig in my basement(Jimi had to use a 4 track). What else do you need? I can't do the new Peter Gabriel or a Hollywood soundtrack. But I don't want to. Can they do what I can? Probably not. Would they want to? Probably not. Will I get rich? Depends on what you are counting.

If you're in this for the money, go to Wall Street. Its a lot easier there. If you're in it to make original music I'm pretty sure there has never been a better time to be alive.

PS. With a good sampler you can do a hollywood soundtrack. Just ask Mr. Elfman.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 05-08-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Re: OT - "The days are over for a pure recording studio," says founder of Digidesign

This is a great thread to get "in" on, nothing is obsolete if it's still used, but at what cost? You would have to be a millionaire to build these "big" studios, or a corporation that needs "write-offs". Does anyone know how many bands get signed, just to be shelved and used as write-off? I wonder, they still are promoting the few glamour talents instead of they many creative musicians. The difference these days is that you can put a talented couple-of people in a room with lots of canvas and paints and come out with a masterpiece, this is being done more and more these days and the big-shot accountants that run all the labels and distribution don't see the rewards "money-wise". This could be the renaissance we're all looking for, if the "new" talents can score with a system that lets it out, and technology is going to get us there, I hope. Maybe if "they" gave the airwaves back to the people whom own it, us. That is one of the few resources the people of this country own. Unfortunately, we don't own the broadcasting stations that put out material and "THEY" don't want to regulate it to "OUR" advantage. Anyone been following this? From news lately about FCC rules in flux and all the nickers in a twist at the Corp. level, I wonder how Clear Channel really feels? Just imagine everyone geting some airplay, it could make us all want to go to the big rooms to record! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 08:09 PM

Looks like the music industry is starting to shift to what you know not who, well maybe a little.

The new aac format is definetly going to help reshape the music industry, as far as I can tell the difference vs. cd is very minimal. With this encoding and whatever comes next the revolution is on.

With the clear channel filling the air so full of all the bs people will start and continue to look for something else.

If they could get the ipods to receive satalite feed like xm radio that would speed it along.

I've heard the major cd buyers are 12-13 year old girls, that might be good since kids would gravitate toward new music formats quicker than adults.

Pretty exciting, definetly for recording musicians. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 08:48 PM

I'm not that sure that 12-13 yr. old kids are spending "thier money", mom and dads, yes. The new compression-thing has yet to be played-out. If we really wanted "GOOD BROADBAND", wouldn't we all have Lynx Zephyr codecs? I don't think that the republicans will give us the airwaves back, too much money would be lost at the country club.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I can't do the new Peter Gabriel or a Hollywood soundtrack. But I don't want to.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fine, but then obviously big studios CAN provide something that you'll never get in your appartment...even if it is something you don't want, some people still need more than you (and I). That was my point. As for Mr Elfman, he doesn't exactly work in an appartment studio, nor is he an unexperienced newbie!!!
And I totally agree with you on what is being rich: it is not about money, but quality of life...I wouldn't ( actually didn't ) want to make more money by doing something else than music.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:10 PM

For every album that needs a big studio, there are 1,000's that don't need a big studio. If you have a great vocal booth and a crapload of Plug-in's and mics. You can just about make any album out there. Obviously, after you get experience using the gear.

www.myspace.com/monkeywrenchmusic
Old 05-09-2003, 02:30 PM

I have a friend (John Bates) who just was recently was signed by Artist Direct. www.mellowdrone.com
When he signed onto the label they encouraged him not to go to any big name studio, but gave him a PO account and company credit card to take to GuitarCenter. They told him to get whatever he wanted(digi 002). He's manager (Tony Burg) loves the fact that he's at home recording material all day long in his bedroom for next to nothing, as opposed to a full blown studio. He gets pretty much everything done in his bedroom except the drum recording and mastering.
THIS IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.
The only things big name studios will be good for will be for mastering, drum recording, they're mic selection and analog gear.
Check out mellowdrone's EP for free at his website. Honestly it's awesome. Very Radioheadish.
The subtitle of his EP is "lovingly recorded in a bedroom"

BTW he got his record deal from a demo he made using Cool Edit Pro, on a crap ass PC, with like a $20 sound card. That just goes to show you, making good music has very little to do with gear if you ask me.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 05-09-2003, 03:07 PM

Commercial studios with SSL's and Studer's aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Real studios with real rooms, mics, pre-amps, f/x's, and large budgets will still sound better than any plug in & 2" tape is still the defacto standard. Just like Mastering houses are alive and well as well regardless of the latest mastering bundle from Waves. Sure you get great results with any gear and enough experience but getting the best sound requires a budget that can afford the best of everything in order to find that that elusive golden tone.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I have a friend (John Bates) who just was recently was signed by Artist Direct. www.mellowdrone.com
When he signed onto the label they encouraged him not to go to any big name studio, but gave him a PO account and company credit card to take to GuitarCenter. They told him to get whatever he wanted(digi 002). He's manager (Tony Burg) loves the fact that he's at home recording material all day long in his bedroom for next to nothing, as opposed to a full blown studio. He gets pretty much everything done in his bedroom except the drum recording and mastering.
THIS IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.
The only things big name studios will be good for will be for mastering, drum recording, they're mic selection and analog gear.
Check out mellowdrone's EP for free at his website. Honestly it's awesome. Very Radioheadish.
The subtitle of his EP is "lovingly recorded in a bedroom"
BTW he got his record deal from a demo he made using Cool Edit Pro, on a crap ass PC, with like a $20 sound card. That just goes to show you, making good music has very little to do with gear if you ask me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Funny thing is Artist Direct passed on one of the rappers that I manage. But he is will be getting a big buzz from THE top mixtape DJ in
NYC.

Anyway congrads for your friend getting signed.

Wiz
Old 05-09-2003, 06:53 PM

Thanks, I think though this is a perfect example of what we're all talking about. The days of artists taking months and months of Big studio time to record an album is over. Money's tight everywhere. It's not economicaly viable for a record co. to shell out the huge amounts of cash for top dollar studio time, when all the really time consuming leg work can be done at home with a PT's LE or similiar rig. PT's and the like are now the great equalizer, bluring the gap between home studios recording and Pro studio recording. Ok we all know the studios aren't going anywhere but over the next 10yrs I can promise you a lot will be going under and taking big profit losses. All I'm saying is as home recording gets better and better, the Big studios will lose the time people are willing to pay for their services. hope that makes cents.
It's a sad truth, one that makes me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , when I use my PT's
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator