Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 07:29 AM

Default Monitors

I am in the market for a pair of studio monitors. I am debating between the event ps6 and ps8. I think the ps6 lacks adiquite bass and I am not sure which one will be easier to mix on [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
~Mike
Old 09-17-2001, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Monitors

Personally, I always go for the bigger low end driver. I use the Event 20/20's and love 'em (8" driver).
Old 09-17-2001, 09:39 AM

a while back I'd posted about my impression of a Behringer mixer I just purchased. That impression is strong and still stands. Furthermore, I was curious about the company's Truth monitors, and mentioned I would post my thoughts if I decided to go with these. For a very rare and brief moment, money was (sort of) no object. It was between the Truths and the Mackies, which I knew would be a no-q's-asked great investment.
After much pondering, it became clear to me that the monitors are the 'only part of your studio you actually hear...' (quote taken from an ad), so I did not want to cut corners.
I went with the Mackies, was blown away when I first turned them on, remixed songs I once thought were sitting well, and realised I made the right choice. These f***ers are accurate, it's no joke. If I hear it on the monitors, I'm hearing it on my CD-R, in the little Discman.
Something my Event 20/20bas did not deliver (though they did sound good, I will admit), and I ended up selling them to buy these Mackies.
Just my $2.
I am sure there are other great monitors out there (Tannoy, AlesisM1, KRK, etc.), but I went with what seems to be the new standard.

pk
Old 09-17-2001, 11:38 AM

Event 20/20's are very nice. I love our pair. They give great low-end. With 20/20's and a hafler TA-1100, you can't go wrong.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 09-17-2001, 11:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ReniuR:
Event 20/20's are very nice. I love our pair. They give great low-end. With 20/20's and a hafler TA-1100, you can't go wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same combo here and sounds great. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 09-17-2001, 01:45 PM

I bought the Event PS8 initially and they proved to be way too much monitor for the size room that I have. My room is about 11' x 10'. I returned them and got the PS6. I love them. They are very true. My mixes alway sound good no matter what system I play them on.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 09-19-2001, 10:54 PM

I have 3 pairs of monitors...
Event Tria System...
Yamaha NS10M...
Behringer Truth...

My $0.02 worth...The NS10M are ok for quick reference to see how the mix holds up on a system without much bass or picking out wierd freq. in the mix that might have been covered up with other speakers...

The Event Tria "no longer avaliable" sound great for mastering...With the subwoofer they kick for dance or rap...

After buying the Behringer Truth monitors, I dont know what I did without them...At first I thought they were a copy of the Mackie Monitors but after comparing them with others, I believe the are actualy modeled after the Genelec 1031A's...Yes I think the 1031A's are awesome but the Behringer's are very close...For a fraction of the price...

The only catch is finding a good pair...
I had 2 pairs that had minor problems but the place I bought them from sent out new replacements ASAP and now they work great.A+

Cool thing is I bought scratch & Dent ones, and they replaced them with fresh A stock for the same price....Cool....

Try the Behringers

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 09-20-2001, 02:49 PM

Also own Behringer Truth. Fantastic quality with an amazing price. A/B'd with Mackies, 1031's and KRK's. Sounded most similiar to 1031's. Bass response well at low volumes and push a lot of air at high volumes.

recordingguy...what minor problems were you noticing?
Old 09-20-2001, 04:21 PM

Not really on the event tip, But I'm using the Hafler trm 8's. THEY"RE OFF THE HOOK! I like them better than the events, and KRKs.(although the latter would be my second choice) Do as much A/B stuff as you can though.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:03 PM

I usually look or listen in this case, to what everyone compares their monitors to. Everyone seems to compare themselves to the mackies, so I went and listened to a cd I know pretty well, and compared, the krk's, yamaha's, event ps8's, rolands, and mackies, and guess what won. The mackie's, they whomped the others.

Yes they cost more, but I believe if you are serious, and you can dig out just a little more cash, get the Mackies. I didn't want to go crazy and get some stupid expensive monitors, as this is just a hobby, but for the money, I dont think you can find anything in the ballpark, and I look at this as an investment, that should last for a while. I'm also not saying to myself, "man i wish i got the mackies" I'm done with monitors for a while.

my 2 cents..
Dave