Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Default Supertool crushing my soul

Why must super tool keep turning itself on? I'm not hitting more than one hot key at a time. I have the Edit tool/keyboard lock selected so I don't end up using all of those other tool variations I don't want. Speaking of what I don't want: SUPERTOOL. I don't want to use it, but it randomly turns on, and prevents me from selecting the tool I really need via the keyboard hot keys. It's killing me.

Look, I've been using Pro Tools since pre PT5.1. Still, I could be missing something. Someone spare me ripping my eyeballs out and tell me how to make it stop.

Just make it stop.

I'm running PT10.2, OSX 10.7.3

Please help me.

PS, Maybe Avid can just give us a way to disable it. How, like totally awesome would that be?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Supertool crushing my soul

If you're talking about the smart tool, it's the best. ;-)
I've been using PT since before you, and the smart tool is absolutely the way to go. I live in it 99% of the time.
If you're accidentally pressing F5 F6 and F7 at the same time, you might be turning it on accidentally.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguitar View Post
If you're talking about the smart tool, it's the best. ;-)
I've been using PT since before you, and the smart tool is absolutely the way to go. I live in it 99% of the time.
If you're accidentally pressing F5 F6 and F7 at the same time, you might be turning it on accidentally.

Sorry to be this way but practically no one has been using Pro Tools longer than I have since I learned the system in 1991 on one of the fist 4 track sound tools units at the university I attended. My fist PT rig was a session 8 in 1996, obviously before "smart tool", or whatever it is called. I obviously use it sometimes, but there are times when I don't want it, and PT makes me have it, which I find really frustrating. Bad enough I have to be in here lately for 14 hour sessions, I don't need my computer back talking to me, my toddler son and daughter already take care of that. The back story on how long I've been a user was just to show that I'm a long time user that has a good handle on how this rig should work, and yes, I am stuck working in some old ways: i.e. with regular old "dumb" tools that just do one thing.

All of that is completely beside the point.

I'm NOT hitting the keys at the same time accidentally. This is my pain. I'm using an apple keyboard, hardwired to a USB port.

Anyone else had to deal with this strange issue? I am using a logitech bluetooth mouse. Not sure if some kind of USB conflict could cause such strange, and infuriating behavior.

I'm going to run something on my B-rig for a while and see if it does it. If no one else has this problem it must be a USB issue on my end. Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy that? Could too many controllers be causing an issue? I do have 2 Shuttle Xpress units, and a griffin controller as well. I'll try uninstalling them.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
I'm going to run something on my B-rig for a while and see if it does it. If no one else has this problem it must be a USB issue on my end. Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy that? Could too many controllers be causing an issue? I do have 2 Shuttle Xpress units, and a griffin controller as well. I'll try uninstalling them.
Do you have a Griffin Powermate connected? That could be the problem.
I have one, and it gave me a lots of issue when I tried to use it with Pro Tools.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post

Anyone else had to deal with this strange issue? I am using a logitech bluetooth mouse. Not sure if some kind of USB conflict could cause such strange, and infuriating behavior.
Is the mouse you're talking about the one with the USB dongle that plugs into the computer's USB port to provide the wireless signal? If so I had one of those and had to ditch it due to inconsistent reading of the buttons being pressed on the mouse and other communications errors. Sometimes for no apparent reason communication would be lost between the mouse and the dongle (and they were only 4 to 5 feet apart). Yet if I walked clear across the room (like 15 feet) there was no problem.

QAPLA!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieffe View Post
Do you have a Griffin Powermate connected? That could be the problem.
I have one, and it gave me a lots of issue when I tried to use it with Pro Tools.
THIS WAS IT!

While I did NOT have a Griffin Powermate actually plugged into my system, I had tried one out a few weeks ago and decided I didn't like it. I haven't plugged it in since, and there isn't a preference pain, or any sort of program running for it in my tool bar.

However, I went into the program folder, deleted the power mate program, emptied the trash, restarted, and I'm back to normal.

Holy cow. Both of you guys send me your email address. I have a small gift for you if you want it. I can't tell you how much that was ruining my day in here.

PT Users be warned about the Griffin Powermate software. I didn't realize that a program just being in the program folder, and not sunning, could make a difference.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 PM

Wow, talk about laser-targeted troubleshooting... that was impressive!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 AM

Great!

The idea behind the powermate is a cool, unfortunately never worked really well, for me.
Glad that this solved your issues!
I could not PM you, it seems you disable it.. Gifts are always appreciated! ☺

Best

Davide Favargiotti