Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-1999, 08:04 PM

Default What is the best choice for HD?

Hi All.
I know Digi' will say "see compat' list..."
But Do anyone who have experience?
What's the best harddisk?
Thank you for your help.
Old 11-19-1999, 06:24 AM

Default Re: What is the best choice for HD?

I've been using a Quantum Viking for years, and it was never approved. It has the same specs as their approved drives, and it's never given me a single problem. The compatibility list is for what Digi says will work without questions (but even that's dubious) and allows their tech support to help you better (not always the case...)

So don't be afraid to experiment a little bit, although I don't recommend running a Mix system on a performa or anything.
Old 11-19-1999, 06:28 AM

I would go for the Seagate Cheetah ST318203LW. I just bought one myself. Fantasic performance!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 11-20-1999, 09:56 AM

Fortunately, HD technology has moved along to a point where it's more of a commodity these days. I sure spend less time worrying about my HD's than I used to.

If you can hold off, I believe there might be some new information regarding HD's from Digi when PT 5.0 is officially released.

I've had great luck with Cheetahs. All my computer stuff is in a machine room, so one factor which isn't important to me that might be important to you is the noise the different drives put out.

Unfortunately, it's hard to get a good idea of how loud a drive will be. When it comes to Seagate drives, the "Barracuda" and "Cheetah" names have been placed on a wide variety of hardware over quite a long period of time. The new Cheetahs are quite different from the original ones (for one thing, they run a lot cooler).

I've heard anecdotally that the IBM drives are quieter, but have seen no hard statistics to back this up.

It's probably best to stay away from Quantum, because that company has taken a real nose dive in recent history.

I've also recently heard speculation that Seagate might be purchased by IBM or Fujitsu.

Lee Blaske
Old 11-25-1999, 10:49 PM

Just like to add to the list.

I have 3 18 gig Seagate barracudas model # ST318275LW and a 9 gig barracuda model number ST39173W. Whether they are running on my mac's scsi bus or my adaptec 2940UW scsi accelerator they run fast and flawlessly. I can get a 64 track count on the accelerator of course. If you have money to burn, go for the cheetahs. If you want to save a few bucks, go with the barracudas.

These probably aren't on digi's supported list but I know that digi doesn't have the time to test every drive.