Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Default The case for Pro Tools LE

I've wanted to ask these questions for a long time, but have been very hesitant because of their nature. I ask these with the utmnost respect for all who participate on this forum and I do not wish to ignite anything but thougtful and practical answers. So here goes.

Given the current slate of DAWs on the market, if you could go back and start over, would you choose Pro Tools LE again? The most apparent logical reason as explained on this forum time and again seems to be inoperability between studios. But what if you did not need to move your projects between studios?
Looking at PT LE from the following perspective:

1. Installation and learning curve
2. effort to maintain stability and ongoing reliability
3. performance
4. final product

would you choose PT LE again?
I am not new to recording or DAWs, but I am looking at PT LE. My experience so far with a small mBox2 mini has been less than satisfying. But that's not to say that once I have made any necessary changes to my sytem that things will not be smoother. I guess I just need to know if the end result is worth the effort. Because it does look like it will require an effort that I'm not used to to get things right.
While I'm new here, I've read a number of posts on this topic but I've not found any major arguments in favor of PT LE over other native systems once the argument that "you can move projects between studioes" is stripped away.
Thanks for your help. Your responses will shape my decision to move forward with PT LE.

-Rich
Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Re: The case for Pro Tools LE

Frankly, probably not. Not knowing what I know now.

On the bullets:
1. Installation and learning curve - not really better or worse than others on the learning curve.
2. effort to maintain stability and ongoing reliability - A big problem here.
3. performance - Again, a bit of a problem.
4. final product - Same as other products, only as good as the man behind the wheel.

But having invested money in the hardware and time in the "getting it tuned-in", I do plan to keep using it along with other products. Any good carpenter has more than one hammer.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM

If I were new at this and starting fresh I would not make the same DAW choices that I have made in the past. That is not to say however that the job is not getting done. It is.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-24-2010, 02:27 PM

damn i wrote you an essay but got logged out.

oh well the point was i dont think you can remove interoperability from the equation without devaluing what PT offers.

I would make the same choice because there is not another pro level product that I can take from home, radio, to studio, to project studio, to consult by only bringing a hard drive an ilok and a couple of flash drives. I work with 2 windows systems 2 mac systems and a hybrid system. xplatform support is important to me. not to mention that some plug in sets are pretty common now and i can retain those plug in settings xplatform is kinda amazing on its own right. So yes at this point i would pic and continue to use pro tools. In fact I am in the middle of buying more PT gear today. Show me another system thats ready for the market and I'll consider using it. I just dont see one right now. Reaper looks good but IMHO just is not ready yet. I think i would be asking for trouble to build a new studio based on reaper. Hell i would say the same thing about PT8 a few months ago.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM

im glad i made the choices i made.

i may not use LE for much these days but if it wasnt for LE i wouldnt have been able to feel comfortable on a hd system the first time i sat down at one.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM

I certainly see the value in the commonality of PT LE. I suspect, to some degree, this very fact continues to propel it sales. But stripping away this argument (compelling as it is) and setting all the DAWs on a fresh track at the starting line of a marathon, will PT LE function well at the beginning , middle and end? And if so, will it perform as smoothly and athletically as the other DAWs? Would PT LE win?
This is an earnest question on my part, as I do not wish to embark on an endless journey of frustration. This forum is littered with frustrated users, some with legitimate concerns, some not. But what does seem apparent is that there is a requirement of considerable effort to get and maintain a stable PT LE DAW. What also seems apparent is that there are many seasoned and skilled users who experience ongoing issues. I'm willing to wade into this if, in the end, the PT LE tool really is more flexible, efficient, reliable and produces an equal or better end product. If, on the other hand, I can reach that same end point with much less effort, then I'll turn away from PT LE.

-Rich
Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm glad I started out on Pro Tools, not that I really had a choice as it was the DAW that my school supported (JMC Academy Sydney). But starting on Pro Tools has made me appreciate my switch to REAPER even more!

Compared to the constant problems of Pro Tools, I have never had one issue with REAPER. NOT ONE! I would not hesitate to recomend it to anyone and everyone.. I will not be recommending Pro Tools to anyone anymore, I just cannot see it having a future... It it wasn't for the strangle hold that Pro Tools already has on the market, I'm not sure how many people would be using it...

That being said... When it works, it is a great program to work with. It looks amazing and feels great (when its not getting errors..).

It's the Digi/Avid business model that really turned me off.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 PM

This is indeed a great post with much input to offer IMO.

I got PT because I wanted the "industry standard" ...but any...and every...program has defects...limitations...and compatibility issues. I am not too seasoned with many other DAWS...before I used PT I used the Yamaha AW4416! That thing came with 3 manuals...with PT I learned in a matter of weeks. (But I cut 2 albums with the AW fyi)

Reliability, in my experience, just plain doesn't exist. Especially in the digital realm. No matter what the scenario. The one thing I learned from the DUC is to use multiple DAWs for the maximum result. One DAW does THIS...another does THAT...etc. This is the best consideration...
Also when using PT study the sticky threads to gain the knowledge of your system and how it will work (if it will work). The keyword here is:
FINN - ICK - EEE!

Best wishes...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Exclamation Re: The case for Pro Tools LE

This is interesting. Im in the same situation. I dont have Pro Tools or Digi hardware yet but Im planning buy it. I have used several DAWs. Never used Pro Tools but I saw a lot of videos about it and it looks functional, efficient and powerful. I think here should be other reasons besides being the standard for most of the music industry use it (maybe?).

In fact, I dont know what to do at all.

But I will venture, is the only way to check it. Im building a pc for it (check Can my Pc Handle PT thread). I wish I will made a good decision.

Pro Tools experienced users, let us know.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 AM

Smile Re: The case for Pro Tools LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by netnoggin View Post
Frankly, probably not. Not knowing what I know now.

On the bullets:
1. Installation and learning curve - not really better or worse than others on the learning curve.
2. effort to maintain stability and ongoing reliability - A big problem here.
3. performance - Again, a bit of a problem.
4. final product - Same as other products, only as good as the man behind the wheel.

But having invested money in the hardware and time in the "getting it tuned-in", I do plan to keep using it along with other products. Any good carpenter has more than one hammer.
Good answers!