Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Default Using 3D spatial plugins in editing and mixing

(Please forgive me if this is a dumb question) Does post production for film use 3D spatial plugins during editing and\or mixing? I've heard some pretty cool effects (in headphones) using them and I was wondering if it is used often in film. It seems like it would be 1 of the many things an editor and mixer would have in their "tool-belt" for creating or enhancing that perfect sound. Out of all of the schooling and post production houses Ive been around, I have yet to hear someone talk about them.

There are quite a few on the market nowadays and I want to purchase 1 or 2 but I dont know too much about them. The ones that I have in mind are:
- Longcat Audio H3D
- Iosono Anymix
- MathewLane DrMS
- Wave Arts Panarama

Are these any good or can someone recommend some others to check out?

Lastly, I'm assuming that these plugins would sound awesome in 5.1 but how do they hold up in a stereo environment? I've been getting alot of requests so I'm curious about this technology.

I just dont know if this is an industry tool or a novelty effect.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Using 3D spatial plugins in editing and mixing

I never ever ever use plugins that do storage things to phase,as you never know what's going to happen in the fold down.

Living the dream.