Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Happy 003 user with a few OT questions

The forum was a great help when I got my 002 5 years ago and then once again when i reloaded with the 003 6 months ago. After some initial glitches I haven't been back here which should indicate that the 003 is rocking and rolling. Couldn't be happier. And the TL Space reverb has been a real treat. Dr. Evil's Hall has been magic for a few songs.

Also, in a random plug, I recently had my cord on my Rode NTK break. I emailed Rode and they sent a new one for free, no question asked, five years after I bought it. I'm a big fan of that type of service and figured I'd spread the word.

Two questions: I have a relative (14 year old) who is not a musician. He claims he wants to "mix music". He has told his parents he needs a Mac laptop and Logic to do this. I think that sounds absurd. Any suggestions on what a good beginner program for someone who just wants to mix other people already record music? Acid? Also I'm assuming you can do this on a $500 PC laptop with some cheap software. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also have a friend who is currently using my old Tascam 8 track and wants to get into computer based recording. Simple stuff. Looking for a low cost program. Or freeware. Any suggestions?

Muchos gracias.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Happy 003 user with a few OT questions

Quote:
I have a relative (14 year old) who is not a musician. He claims he wants to "mix music". He has told his parents he needs a Mac laptop and Logic to do this. I think that sounds absurd. Any suggestions on what a good beginner program for someone who just wants to mix other people already record music? Acid? Also I'm assuming you can do this on a $500 PC laptop with some cheap software. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
My first inclination is to have him get a cassette deck, an old analog mixer and a pair of speakers, then play the music and learn proper balance and EQ.

But that's not sexy enough for today's world, so I would suggest a low-cost Apple computer with GarageBand, have him import the audio files and experiment.
THAT would be the least expensive way, and if he doesn't get into it, then there's no great loss of $$$.

Sony's Acid is good, but why buy another app if Apple already has a similar (although limited) app pre-installed?

As for your friend who is using the Tascam, if he/she is already well-versed in that realm, have them go for a Pro Tools LE system.
While I'm a confirmed Mac user, I have not used Logic so I can't really address its good/bad points.
But I've been very, very happy with Pro Tools.
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 05-20-2008, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Happy 003 user with a few OT questions

I would agree with the notion of starting with a 4-track cassette or older recording and mixing system for a teenager. I have met many newer "engineers" who have started in the digital domain and have problems with mic placement, stereo field and e.q. of individual sounds or voices and the solution tends to be that they will "fix" it in post. While there results may be good for their clients I would tend to think that if you make do with less than stellar gear at an early age then you have nowhere to go but up. When you are forced to learn based on limitation a little bit of hard work and pay off in the end. And you'll really find out if they want to do it or not!