Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2001, 04:53 AM

Default PostConform and Machine Control, confusion?

So I've been reading some past posts and have become confused.

PostConform: Software that will read an edl and redigitize Avid sequence/PT Session from source Tapes (with handles). This software includes ability to control an external deck, but only in the PC program.

Machine Control: Software that works in PT that allows your transport window to act as a controller for an external deck. Insert edits to tape are possible with this software/hardware.

So here is my confusion, are there two different spots to physically connect the deck to a PT rig? If so do you need to switch these connections of going from one program to the next? The way these programs work together or apart is not very clear from the product descriptions, I hope someone can help a technically challenged me. I am currently doing all my research as I intend to setup a system but cannot find a real indepth description of how all this really comes together.

Another big nebulous zone is the alternatives to having a resolved system using something other than a USD. Drawbacks or advantages from experience would be lovely to share. Most specifically can I get the same result using the Motu DTP instead of Digi USD? And midi timecode rings bells of hearing it is not that stable, like if using a MTP or VSD.

You've all been so helpful, sincere thanks.

Clubsoda [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2001, 08:07 AM

Default Re: PostConform and Machine Control, confusion?

PostConform does indeed work on a mac. To conform a session use PC to autoload the sounds from a tape and generate a session file, then go to PT to do your edit & mix stuff

to use MC you need a tape deck that is 9 pin controlable. We have a 7030 for autoconforming from DAT. connect the 9 pin to serial cable that comes w/MC to the deck and the other end to the mac.

on my system machine control hooks up via mac serial- so if you have USB you need a serial adapter. once you have MC loaded and hooked up configure it in the prefs dialog. It will work with either PT or PC without reconecting anything, although you have to set prefs in both.

if you are doing sound for pic you will need a USD or other type of device. it is VERY IMPORTANT that everything is locked to a common sync source. black burst would be best. the sound source deck, PT and your vidio all NEED a common ref. signal

that should get you started
Old 09-07-2001, 01:48 PM

CLUBSODA:
Just to help clarify a little more, the MACHINE CONTROL option for PT and the machine control in Post Conform are two separate things.

Post Conform software (I think is only available for Mac at this point) comes with the ability to control decks which have 9pin capability. This is only from within PC. If you want to control a 9pin deck from within PT you need to purchase the MACHINE CONTROL option for PT. Both apps will access a common serial port if set up to do so.

We use a USD (connected to the Digiserial port on the Mix card) for TC and a Fostex TC DAT (connected to a Keyspan USB-9pin adapter). The DTP should also work fine. The G4's of course don't have any serial ports so you'll need to add one for TC from the DTP and use the Digiserial port for machine control.

As you've heard Post Conform will accept a CMX edl from a picture workstation and allow you to redigitize the necessary audio material (just the cut portions + handles) and generate a PT session to match the picture sequence. PC 2.0 works pretty well but like any auto-assembly program success depends largely on the edl (which seem to ALWAYS have errors).

As CLEE mentioned sync reference is extremely important and a huge discussion of its own!

Hope this all helps, good luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Polaris
Old 09-08-2001, 02:06 AM

Thanks to both of you, I have a bettr grasp on the concepts of Machine Control and PC. The whole sync thing though, I think I know what is going on, then I think too much about it and then become confused again. Alas I believe I should stick with what I know and trust I'll work it all out. Also, special thanks to Polaris, you're previous posts on other topics have helped me in the past, I am truely grateful.

Regards, CS