Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2002, 07:05 AM

Default Need a step by step BIOS Flash procedure.

Hi

I downloaded the latest BIOS update for my Asus A7M266 mobo (v. 1007), since I'm experiencing some problems with the reboot procedure, maybe the new bios will fix this and if it doesn't it's still and update to the machine;

Can anybody of you techeads out there forward a step-by-step, safe and proven procedure to perform a BIOS flash? I've never tried this at home [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] so please be patient and detailed.

thanx for your help.

L.G.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Need a step by step BIOS Flash procedure.

www.lumberjacker.de should have the most recent bios.
Download the correct one
Unzip it to a folder
Open Asus Update-(should be on your mobo install disk if you havn't installed it)
Select "update bios from a file"
select the folder with the unzipped bios file
The update utility will tell you if you have a valid file and install it for you when you click on "update"
This works for my A7V266E, I think it will be the same for the A7M.
Reboot and press your delete button to go into bios to make any necessary changes - eg. disable some ports or onboard sound etc.
cheers Roly
Old 11-18-2002, 07:29 AM

Step one: Get a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and connect your computer to it! This is an important step. When you flash the BIOS, you first erase the existing BIOS, and then you load in the new BIOS. If power gets interrupted between the time that the old BIOS is erased and the new BIOS is fully loaded you'll have an unbootable machine! Asus will send you a new BIOS chip pre-flashed with whatever BIOS version you request, but it will cost you $25 + shipping, and a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Step two: Create a bootable floppy disk (I prefer a Win98 startup disk) and place a copy of the flash utility AFLASH.EXE on it. Also place a copy of the BIOS image on it to which you will be upgrading.

Step three: Boot to your bootable floppy and run AFLASH.EXE (all you have to do is type "AFLASH" to run it)

Step four: SAVE YOUR CURRENT BIOS. This is an important step. In case the BIOS image you downloaded is somehow corrupt you can reload your original BIOS and avoid a disaster.

Step five: Flash your BIOS.

Step six: Reboot and enter the BIOS. Set the BIOS to "load setup defaults".

Step seven: Reboot and restore any custom BIOS settings that were changed in the above proceedure.

You're done.

I should have noted somewhere above that you should first write down any custom BIOS settings, since they will be lost during the upgrade process.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-18-2002, 08:24 AM

Great advice from QuikDraw.

Here's a step by step provided by Asus:
http://usa.asus.com/inside/flash_mb.htm
Old 11-18-2002, 08:35 AM

The method I described works fine but I see now that there are risks I didn't consider.
thanks Quickdraw Roly
Old 11-19-2002, 12:43 AM

Just to scare you all..

I personaly "burned" a brand new mobo 3 weeks ago, - totaly stupid - suddenly the diskdrive had no way of reading the flobbydisk, a - 10 cent!!!!! flobbydisk..!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was stupid enough to just use some old disk i had laying around and not a new one..

Total cost around 250$!!!!!!!!!!!!
- and be the laughingstok of the computerstore..

Thats the fastest mony have burned in a long time.. - just goes to show that you realy have to take when you f**** around with the bios...

Be carefull!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 11-19-2002, 12:46 AM

Thanx for the great advices guys.

I'll try as soon as I finish a project I'm working on.

L.G.