Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Question on Pre Fader Metering

Hi,

I read in the manual, to toggle between Pre-Fader and Post-Fader you go to Select Options>Pre Fader metering. When I select it or not ,it doesn't make a difference in the way the fader reacts.

When I select Pre-Fader metering, the level meters show levels independent of the fader positon. But
when not selected, I though it should be in Post fader mode and the level meters should respond to the fader positioning,but it does the same as Pre-fader.

Here's my set-up, Pro Tools LE 6.9 (002R),Mac DualG5 w/2 Ghz(memory upgrade) running Panther 10.3.8,
and Glyph GT050-250gb Desktop HD

Is there something else I'm missing? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Question on Pre Fader Metering

you're doing it right, if you've actually selected pre-fader metering from the menu. you should tell us what your setup is though, what computer, system, and PTLE version, etc. That way folks can better help you with your problem.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 AM

Thanks Vicwind, I edited my post with my system info. I realized after I posted , I didn't supply that.

Can anybody help me out with this Pre-fader monitoring? Why doesn't it work in Post-fader mode when
I turn Pre-fader monitoring off?

Thanks For The Help!
Tom
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM

this is probably not the answer, but why are you on 10.3.8? i've been using 3.9 for a long time and never had this issue. but someone else will probably come up with a workaround. if there's no reason to hold back, you might consider downloading 10.3.9 and then repairing permissions.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:53 PM

I may be wrong here, but I think it only refers to the actual meter - not the fader itself. The "LED's" will show pre or post - that is to say they will show the levels of the tracks output independant of the faders imposed volumes. This is handy to see the difference between the output of the original wave + comps/EQ added gain against the level of the track within the mix.

God, did any of that make sense!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the replies!

vicwind Quote:
Quote:
this is probably not the answer, but why are you on 10.3.8? i've been using 3.9 for a long time and never had this issue. but someone else will probably come up with a workaround. if there's no reason to hold back, you might consider downloading 10.3.9 and then repairing permissions.
I purchased the Mac and Pro Tools 002R from Dale Audio in New York.They install Ver 6.9 in the Mac G5 and said to stay with 10.3.8. They said it was more stable then OS10.3.9 with Ver. 6.9. This is all new to me and they were the experts,so thats why I'm on 10.3.8. Plus I'm new to the Mac platform and would be a little nervous updating to 10.3.9 and screwing everything up. Would using 10.3.8 have anything to do with the PreFader monitoring?

scuzzytim Quote:
Quote:
I may be wrong here, but I think it only refers to the actual meter - not the fader itself
The reference manual states that with PreFader monitoring selected, the faders don't effect the LED meter levels,but not selected the fader controls the LED
levels.

Thanks Again
Tom
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 PM

maybe you already know this but: when prefader metering is ON, the meter will show only the level at the input of the AD, when prefader metering is OFF, the meter will show the change in gain as you move the fader around. move it up and the meter will show a hotter signal, move it down, well you get the picture. have you tried turning prefader metering off and then moving the fader up and down while watching? if so, it SHOULD be getting higher up the meter as you move the fader up and so on. sorry if this seems obvious, but i'm a little confused now as to what is going on there. at any rate, hang in there and good luck. i'm sure you'll get it working soon. there's some very smart puppies in the DUC that maybe don't yet believe what's happening to ya. give it some time (if you have it)
peace
Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 AM

Quote:
maybe you already know this but: when prefader metering is ON, the meter will show only the level at the input of the AD, when prefader metering is OFF, the meter will show the change in gain as you move the fader around. move it up and the meter will show a hotter signal, move it down, well you get the picture. have you tried turning prefader metering off and then moving the fader up and down while watching? if so, it SHOULD be getting higher up the meter as you move the fader up and so on. sorry if this seems obvious,
vicwind, This is why I posted. Its not working that way. It doesn't make a difference if prefader metering is on or off. When On, the fader controls the monitoring level ONLY, not the input signal level (LED)of the record enabled track,as it should. But when prefader metering is off it does the same thing.When prefader metering is off, it should be controlling the input signal level(LED)on the record enabled track.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 AM

vicwind, This is why I posted. Its not working that way. It doesn't make a difference if prefader metering is on or off. When On, the fader controls the monitoring level ONLY, not the input signal level (LED)of the record enabled track,as it should. But when prefader metering is off it does the same thing.When prefader metering is off, it should be controlling the input signal level(LED)on the record enabled track.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Tom

[/QUOTE]

The fader will never ever control input level to a record enabled track. The only way to control that level is on the preamp.
The pre-post switchin is just for the meter!!!
In pre it shows the level before the fader and in post it shows the level after the fader, thats all it does!!!

Mats B
Old 11-15-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The fader will never ever control input level to a record enabled track. The only way to control that level is on the preamp.
The pre-post switchin is just for the meter!!!
In pre it shows the level before the fader and in post it shows the level after the fader, thats all it does!!!
That is a very good way of explaining it.

You will see a more dramatic effect of this during playback when the track is not record enabled.
It is good way of checking the original recorded level w/o changing your mix.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz