Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Mixing Vocals . . . HELP??

Hey everyone,
I'm currently doing some of my first mix down sessions for our band. I'm pretty happy with how the instruments are sounding (although if anyone has any die hard tips, I'm always open!) . . . . but I really am not getting the sound I want for the vocals. They aren't terrible, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and know I'm going to wish I'd done more homework if I don't ask. Sooo . . . anyone have any tips/tricks around mixing for vocals (ie. compression and settings, eq and settings, reverb? other? ? ) We are a rock band (more top 40ish with hooky melodies and harmony vocals in most).
Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!
thanks

TDub

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Mixing Vocals . . . HELP??

For Vocals I tend to use a Focusrite EQ or the Waves REQ 4 or REQ 6 for the first plugin on the chain. Then I either use the 1176 or the LA-2A. I use them lightly as I come in through a hardware 1176 and get my signal that way. It all really depends on the song for what approach I take. I generally run my vocals through either the Nuemann, Rode NTK or the Shure SM-7B (rock vocals) into the 1272 or X73i. Then either the 1176 or a distressor and then into Pro Tools. Compression rations are deteremined by the singer and the song. No real standard. I tend to watch how much reduction I am doing, but again it depends. SOme singers need to be squashed, others need just slight compression.

Add a nice long plated (slow tailed) verb and put that on a stereo AUX track and send a BUS to it. Then I usually add another Stereo AUX track with a 2 tap delay and bus to that. Putting that onto the vocals with just a hint of the delay. You will hear it in the cans and it really fills out the sounds. I then send to my EVENTIDE H-3000 or my Lexicon for some other stuff to thicken it all up.

Without that gear, I would use a Verb, 2 tap delay, and possibly a second verb for layers and blend to taste with the busses. Keep the EFFECT bus at 0db, and send to it for what you need.

Hope this makes sense?
- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM

I like my vocals more dry, but where wetness is needed, I like to insert a MoogerFooger Delay and then Reverb plug in series. I usually roll of the high-end on the reverb a bit, or else it sounds tinny.

Backup vocals I like more wet, so they sit behind the lead vocal. I usually roll off more low end in the backup vocals.

I've been diggin' VintageWarmer on vox lately, slammed real hard to the point of distortion. Maybe mix that in with an uncompressed vocal track, during the choruses or strong parts of the song.

Also, for the verses, I prefer a single lead vocal track, but for choruses, a double tracked (not copied) lead vocal panned out hard right and left.

During a breakdown or a soft bridge, I'll go back to the single vocal, but then bring in the double right when the band comes in for the last chorus. Sometime a little before, sometimes right on the moment. Whatever brings more punch.

Hope I've given you some ideas.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:43 AM

These are great, thanks! Anyone else with some ideas? Keeping in mind I have mbox with 6.7 and just the inserts that come with it, no outboard gear.
Also, what about WHERE they sit in the mix? Some people say don't pan the vocals so that they are coming right through center, but find a place for other instruments . . . thoughts?

thanks and keep it comin'

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 05-17-2005, 12:34 PM

Vocals - lead center....
Backups - depends.... I usually go -10 or so.... just depends on the effect.

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM

Hmm...You can(usually) get much better and more helpful responses if you can let some people listen to it...

Is it online anywhere?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:53 PM

hahaha, I would love save it somewhere for you to listen to, but I wouldn't know how to save it or where! I'm a little computer "illiterate" when it comes to that type of thing. Don't have a website. Is there a quick and easy way to add to a post that i'm not aware of? I've seen others do so, but its a bit beyond my technical expertise i think. thanks

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 05-17-2005, 04:03 PM

Hmm, you can use yousendit.com and send it to me, and I can host it on my webpage for all to listen .

In addition we can post the Yousendit.com link here and whoever wants to d/load it for critique may do so.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:17 PM

sure i'll give it a shot. what is your email address? Remember, I'm new at this, so it definitely needs work!! It currently has comp, reverb, eq on vocs . . . but the settings are just me playing around!

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 05-17-2005, 04:24 PM

sorry . . . got your email address and tried to send. It said it has been stored on server, but could not be sent due to tech difficulty. Try again later. ?

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB