Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 09:37 AM

Default Clips missing after closing and re-opening a session

This is not the case of importing files and not having them copied to the session, etc.

Yesterday, I spent a couple hours recording 2 tracks of vocals, saving as I go. This morning, I opened the same session, and random vocal clips are gone from both tracks timeline, and not just the last takes. No other tracks have missing clips.

I opened various backup versions, as well as "Save 1.6", 1.7, etc, and they're missing in those as well. The clips are still in the clips list, just missing from the timeline. How does this happen? I'm guessing the only fix is to manually listen to the takes and re-assemble them? Not good.

Pro Tools HD 12.8

Last edited by soundboy35; 11-20-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Clips missing after closing and re-opening a session

Was there a drive mounted that no longer is?
This sounds like a disc allocation problem.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:19 AM

If the clips are missing in the clip bin (or italicized/offline) then yes, it would probably be a disk allocation or drive issue, but If as you say the clips are there in the clips bin (and you can play them) then it does sound like session corruption somewhere along the way. I have a vague recollection of seeing others with this issue in the PT 12-ish world - probably search the forum (PT12 particularly), but bottom line is if the session was corrupted somehow, all saves going forward from that point may be wonky.

Good luck!
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-20-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
Was there a drive mounted that no longer is?
This sounds like a disc allocation problem.
Thanks. No mounted drive, just a 2nd internal drive on a Macbook Pro.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
If the clips are missing in the clip bin (or italicized/offline) then yes, it would probably be a disk allocation or drive issue, but If as you say the clips are there in the clips bin (and you can play them) then it does sound like session corruption somewhere along the way. I have a vague recollection of seeing others with this issue in the PT 12-ish world - probably search the forum (PT12 particularly), but bottom line is if the session was corrupted somehow, all saves going forward from that point may be wonky.

Good luck!
rich
Thanks, and now that you mention it, I also recall some PT12-ish issues like this. Not sure if there was ever a workaround, but I'll take a look. I pieced back the takes and consolidated the files on new playlists, and so far have been able to close and re-open the session, but who knows?