Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2024, 02:35 PM

Default How to restore a project from project cache?

No answer provided

Last edited by stacyodellnyc; 03-04-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:49 PM

Default Re: How to restore a project from project cache?

You should open a support case with Avid support and see if they can help you.

You have what saved locally? What you should have been doing is making local session copies with Save Session Copy In) If so then just open that copy as a local session. If not that then how exactly did you make the copy?

There is zero chance I would every trust a Cloud Project with my work and many of us have been warning about doing so for years on DUC. Maybe now you might want to reconsider doing that.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:08 PM

In the latest Pro Tools, under File>Open you have a choice of "Session" or "Project". Did you try that?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-27-2024, 05:07 PM

This is not making any sense.

If you did a Save Session Copy In you will have a folder somewhere with a .ptx file in it and the related media assets should also be there. The .ptx file is a local session format file you open it as a session file. You can then save that to a new project if you are brave enough to and keep doing the project thing. Presumably you've been making lots of backups and should be able to find lots of .ptx files.

Search for all .ptx files e.g. on the Mac use the find command:

$ find / -iname \*.ptx -print

don't rely on Spotlight/assume it has stuff indexed correctly. Same with the equivalent on Windows. If you had removable drives, USB sticks, NAS storage, cloud storage, etc. mounted in the past make sure you did not do a Save Session Copy In and store stuff on those drives - go look and check them.

You should really have been backing these sessions up to multiple different physical drives (and maybe cloud storage) and physically removing the drives from the computer to protect them from user induced and other possible problems.

But again, I would never use cloud sessions. I'd collaborate like folks have done reliably for ages by zipping up sessions uploading the to the cloud and letting others download and unpack and run their copy locally. You have to manage uploads and manage who is doing what in collaboration and may need to manually merge stuff, but OTOH this works reliably. My suspicion is that Avid does not understand how to develop a distributed application, I suspect this stuff is not properly architected, and Pro Tools cloud projects are likely fundamentally broken and not to be trusted (but as with many badly build distributed software sure it appears to work until there is a timing/distributed consistency problem).

If you cannot find any .ptx files, don't mess around, contact Avid support. Purchase an ASC if you have to. If you need help with support hopefully Tope or one of the other nice Avid folks here can help you get going there.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyodellnyc View Post
Sorry Darryl, This is a Project, not a session. This is the cloud collaboration files, not session files. Thats why it's a bit different. It saves in a different way and those files cannot be opened in the traditional way. Thats what I'm looking for, how to rebuild or restore from those save files that are local
Yes I know. And that is why I said the way to back this up is to do a "Save Session Copy In" and you told me that is what you have done... so no you have not done that. If you've been only been saving online projects you have a very weak backup strategy. Please contact Avid support. -- and if you have a case number post it here and that may help folks help you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-27-2024 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
I have a cloud collaboration Project I'm working on with a client and It somehow lost all the tracks, VI's, Audio, Midi... from my side. I have it also saved locally but I can't find information on how to restore the project from project cache. I have the project folder with "Audio Files" folder and "Track Versions" folder (.pso files). I can open the project but it only has information that was created by my client and things I shared with him. Any one knowledgable on this? I appreciate any info on this. I have done quite a bit of googling and manual searching and reading... but I'm not able to figure this out yet. I included a screenshot of the Project Cache
Hi Stacy, David here from Avid Community! Seems like you've already created a case for this. I'll monitor the case. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2024, 01:49 PM

Thank you David, it’s going very slow… so far response was a question that really isn’t relevant

Last edited by stacyodellnyc; 02-28-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:09 AM

Good morning David, would you be able to check and see what’s going on with my case? Here is the case number. Case : 04764075 Seems like I should’ve gotten some kind of an answer by now. Anything that you could do to help be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:01 AM
Avid

Quote:
Good morning David, would you be able to check and see what’s going on with my case? Here is the case number. Case : 04764075 Seems like I should’ve gotten some kind of an answer by now. Anything that you could do to help be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I've already alerted the case owner. You should see a reply asap. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2024, 01:05 PM

Thank you David, still no reply… maybe tomorrow