Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The maintenance cost for those old consoles has been staggering on top of the immense original outlay. The cost of recapping them so they'll work at all is more than the cost of a Control 24 and most have needed it several times. So is the cost of the studio wiring. Those manufacturers have also all gone bankrupt!
Yeah it's not the best analogy. I guess my point was the controllers shouldn't be junked for the sake of a software update. They could have at least included these controllers and say they're unsupported same as Hui and others.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
They could have at least included these controllers and say they're unsupported same as Hui and others.
Unfortunately, that doesn't make much sense.

How can they release drivers and not guarantee that they'll work?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Unsupported means they are no longer willing to invest any significant money in keeping it working. They support MIDI and HUI communicates with MIDI so it will probably work for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Unfortunately, that doesn't make much sense.

How can they release drivers and not guarantee that they'll work?
There's the 'unsupported" and "will not work".
My belief is Avid put these controllers in the "will not work" category on purpose by not including the profiles. They made a decision not spend resources porting to 64 bit. That's their business choice and I don't agree with it. They took the trouble to do 003 and Command|8 but not the big boys.
Hui is there in the 'unsupported' place, so they took the trouble to port that profile.
Heck even the old 002 is working. How messed up is that?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
There's the 'unsupported" and "will not work".
My belief is Avid put these controllers in the "will not work" category on purpose by not including the profiles.
Not true. Pro Control was put in the "will not work" category and the Control 24 was put in the "not tested but might work" category. We (the public) tested it and that's when it was moved to the "will not work" category. They never tested it and they thought it "might" work.

They didn't do anything to break it and they didn't do anything to fix it. Most of us (and Avid) thought we'd get lucky (as we did with the Digi 002 and the Digi Blue 192) but it didn't happen.

Quote:
They made a decision not spend resources porting to 64 bit. That's their business choice and I don't agree with it.
That much is true and I don't agree with it either. But the decision was based on how old the units were.

And had they made drivers, they would have had to make sure that they worked. Which involved testing etc. That costs resources which they diverted elsewhere.

When units keep working despite being supported it's a big win for both Avid and us and as we get to keep using them and Avid doesn't have to do anything to keep them working. If it clashes with any OS software updates or other programs you have, it's on you.

But they can't write a driver and say "you're on your own".
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus44uk View Post
OK, now that I am certain my Control 24 is nothing more than worthless as far as moving ahead with my recording software, I think we need to start a new thread.

Which DAW software is Windows compatible and has the shortest learning curve for a ten year PT user? Time to move on to a company that values it's customers who spend tens of thousands on their products.

Anybody wanna buy a big heavy paperweight?
Windows, Mac - after all these years, they're all still terrible.

Incredibly.

Referring specifically to the user interface aspect. Feature-wise they excel by miles (Logic, Studio One, Reaper, Cubase, Sonar), but every single one REFUSES to take the simplistic wysiwyg "word processor for audio" approach for editing audio like PT and instead rely on convoluted overly busy tool functions, hidden commands and midi-centric methods for accomplishing the most basic editing tasks. Reinventing the wheel over and over again. You'd think by now SOMEONE would have a daw out there specifically targeted to folks like us, but nope. It's almost like Avid has some kind of copyright on "ease of use" that nobody would ever dare infringe. Ha - maybe they do.

Anyway I've been looking for three years myself (since they announced no more support for our very expensive, fully functional and well maintained rack of blue-face 192's), but still no luck. Now add those Control 24's to the list.

I'd be interested in seeing that thread btw; I'd love to be wrong about one of those.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
Windows, Mac - after all these years, they're all still terrible.

Incredibly.

Referring specifically to the user interface aspect. Feature-wise they excel by miles (Logic, Studio One, Reaper, Cubase, Sonar), but every single one REFUSES to take the simplistic wysiwyg "word processor for audio" approach for editing audio like PT and instead rely on convoluted overly busy tool functions, hidden commands and midi-centric methods for accomplishing the most basic editing tasks. Reinventing the wheel over and over again. You'd think by now SOMEONE would have a daw out there specifically targeted to folks like us, but nope. It's almost like Avid has some kind of copyright on "ease of use" that nobody would ever dare infringe. Ha - maybe they do.

Anyway I've been looking for three years myself (since they announced no more support for our very expensive, fully functional and well maintained rack of blue-face 192's), but still no luck. Now add those Control 24's to the list.

I'd be interested in seeing that thread btw; I'd love to be wrong about one of those.
The reason why other companies go in a different direction from Pro Tools is simply "positioning". Why would you invent what has already been invented?

Reaper is a perfect example of this. My biggest complaint with Pro Tools is it's inability to customize very much. Reaper is the opposite. You can customize everything. But that doesn't appeal to everyone.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The reason why other companies go in a different direction from Pro Tools is simply "positioning". Why would you invent what has already been invented?

Reaper is a perfect example of this. My biggest complaint with Pro Tools is it's inability to customize very much. Reaper is the opposite. You can customize everything. But that doesn't appeal to everyone.
I tried Reaper for 3 months. You can't customize it nearly enough regarding the UI and workflow setup. Too many bizarre unwanted functions and not enough ways to simplify them. Also a lot of issues that can't be corrected via customization. That was my experience anyway.
Not to get all negative on you or anything - there are a LOT of things I really like about Reaper, and it remains my highest hope as a potential replacement, but right now it just isn't there yet.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
I tried Reaper for 3 months. You can't customize it nearly enough regarding the UI and workflow setup. Too many bizarre unwanted functions and not enough ways to simplify them. Also a lot of issues that can't be corrected via customization. That was my experience anyway.
Not to get all negative on you or anything - there are a LOT of things I really like about Reaper, and it remains my highest hope as a potential replacement, but right now it just isn't there yet.
SONAR X2 is excellent. I've been working on older versions of SONAR before switching to Pro Tools (for commercial reasons) and was shocked with the numbers of features Pro Tools was missing.

You can't go wrong with SONAR and Softube makes plugins integrated in the Pro Channel Strip!

Also, SONAR has built in EQ, compressor, phase shift button etc etc by default on every track. It has saturation functions built it as well not to mention VI freeze and offline bounce. It's a great a reliable software. I wish the Control 24 worked with SONAR!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM

I can use almost all DAWs and all of them have things I love about them and things that miss for me.

I can definitely create the perfect DAW that has the best of all of them and it would be loved by one person.

Me.

But it is amazing how many cool features have still not be added to Pro Tools.

Track Freeze?

Track Templates?

FX Chains?

Snapping?

C'mon.