Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 05:30 PM

Default Building a studio - 25k - advice please

I've been running a PTLE studio for some time now and am thinking of going to a TDM system. Please give me any thoughts on how I should allocate the 25k. I think I need:

- HD system
- mics
- cables
- A/D converter
- pres

Can you give me your thoughts on what you'd purchase to get the most bang for the buck? I already have a great-sounding pair of rooms to record in. I want to build a studio capable of producing quality recordings of solo musicians, classical musicians (e.g. string quartet) and small rock bands (e.g. four piece).

I am thinking of going HD, but do I go Accel?

Do I need a killer A/D converter?

What pres would be best suited?

What mics would you recommend?

Thank you all for your advice.

Joseph
Old 09-24-2003, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Building a studio - 25k - advice please

You are saing: "Building a studio". Use the money on that. Proper control & tracking room, form an STUDIO. No equipment can do that.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 09-24-2003, 05:48 AM

buy a PT HD system and keep your money in a closet to pay for the upgrades
Old 09-24-2003, 06:49 AM

Don't buy an HD system!!!! Ok, I don't really mean that.. Just wanted to get your attention...

Look, if you've only got 25K for a complete studio... Spend wisely.

First, what are you trying to achieve? Is this for you to write & record music in? Is it to make money? Both? What client base are you going after?

Second, BALANCE. you can buy the most elaborate amazing DAW on the planet, but without a good mic selection, pre-amps,monitors and acoustic room you'll still potentially pump out crud. Try mackie or used Genelec 1021's with or without a sub woofer.

As to cables, don't blow your money on fancy name brand big marketing budget cables... Get GEPCO cables, they will work just great. We build a studio, just about every 2 months. We Always use GEPCO,and in fact most of the studio owners I talk with do the same. Buy a "GEP PAK" spool of 61801EZ-5-GP for analog, and build you own cables. Get the ends from any pro shop in youre area. If you need specific help in building these call us, i'll have our tek team help you out over the phone with pinout questions. gratis. If you call us and ask for Angel or Kat, they can give you the cable info for digital lines , clocking, etc.

Get REAN patchbays ( solder ends ) don't buy 1/4 to 1/4 patchbays... Hire someone locally or have a company make them for you. If you do it your self the REAN bays are 96 way bantam. They come in a few colors and are set up in groups of 8 for easy spotting of patch points. We use them almost exculsively now-a-days. We're even replacing existing bays for clients with the REAN bays.

Buy a good "House sync / clock "... Rosenthal Nanosync's are great and not too expensive.

Get used gear. save money. (But, check the equipment for purchase!) Get a couple of nice mics and a good preamp. Get some deceint monitors. Buy a used Mix|24 system. Really, do you *NEED* HD or do you just *Want* it. Get last years anything and save a couple bucks.. If you do well and the studio grows , upgrade.

Been there. done that.

Cheers
georgia

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 09-24-2003, 12:16 PM

Is the 25k liquid or leveraged?
Know what you want to buy and cash on eBay. (only buy w/ good feedback)
Leverage what you can but w/out over extending.
Buy a xferable d24 system on eBay and exchange for HD.
just a quickie .02