Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Reaper rewire latency into protools

Hi people...
This is just Crazyyy what s happening to me,
I started messing around with the Synchronize to external Time Code settings in Reaper (choosing "Asio Positioning Protocol" and checking "Start playback on valid time-code") and it seems to fix the problem.
If I start playback again (and stop) all of a sudden I can hear (and feel with my controller) both VI's playing at the same time (with reaper's buffer size finally in synch with PT's buffer size).

When I did the test today, I started rewire from scratch and observed that the synch problem arises when I change buffer size in PT, it seems that reaper is not following those changes (even though I see it changing in reaper).
....before changing buffer size there is no synch problem....ummm

how 's that for strange??

Also, when I change the buffer size to 64 or 128 samples in PT and with "Synchronize to external Time Code" enabled I can hear a phasey sound while playing both VI's at the same time....

...and.....Reaper is still getting out of synch for seconds and then come back to synch even with the new tweak I mentioned above...I will see if I can live with that!

THANKS A LOT.....i m still up to discover what the hell is going on
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
Hi people...
This is just Crazyyy what s happening to me,
I started messing around with the Synchronize to external Time Code settings in Reaper (choosing "Asio Positioning Protocol" and checking "Start playback on valid time-code") and it seems to fix the problem.
If I start playback again (and stop) all of a sudden I can hear (and feel with my controller) both VI's playing at the same time (with reaper's buffer size finally in synch with PT's buffer size).

When I did the test today, I started rewire from scratch and observed that the synch problem arises when I change buffer size in PT, it seems that reaper is not following those changes (even though I see it changing in reaper).
....before changing buffer size there is no synch problem....ummm

how 's that for strange??

Also, when I change the buffer size to 64 or 128 samples in PT and with "Synchronize to external Time Code" enabled I can hear a phasey sound while playing both VI's at the same time....

...and.....Reaper is still getting out of synch for seconds and then come back to synch even with the new tweak I mentioned above...I will see if I can live with that!

THANKS A LOT.....i m still up to discover what the hell is going on
Glad to see you are getting your troubleshooting on
Further reading has me interested to comment again. I think it could be faulty coding in one of your VI's, but that's a long shot.

Try this. Do not start syncing Pro Tools and REAPER for at least one bar. In other words, start the entire project on your second bar (move all your audio and MIDI info back). I remember in earlier versions of Reason, it needed this time to get in sync...had something to do with compatibility and rewire (can't remember exactly), Maybe it will work with REAPER as well.

I've also had a problem in the past getting a lot of tracks to play at once in REAPER period (on a DIGI 002R). Updating to a faster system with a lot more RAM and doing the 3g switch mentioned in the "i7 Builds" Thread seemed to have fully solved that problem.

Also try this: whenever you change the buffer size in PT, close and restart REAPER. This should help to insure the system has changed the setting...this might be happening with REAPER as well...Remember when you change buffer sizes in PT, any plugin latency is also affected. Since rewire is technically a plugin, this might be the cause of your specific issue...(worth a shot anyway)

Good luck
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM

hi people, no good news, !
I thought that I found a solution but this has become very unpredictable..
I did everything you guys told me but nothing... I just tried and the project started in synch, but then I change buffer sizes and out of synch again.. I tried the external time code stuff but nothing either...DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,,,
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Sorry no good news.

This in an awful lot of troubleshooting for such a straight forward setup. The fact that everything works fine for you with Cubase and Reaper ReWire makes me think that your audio interface is the culprit with the setup with PT... especially considering it works with PT until the buffer is changed. I have used Reaper ReWire with M-P 8, and now PT 9 with the Profire 2626. This is how I work everyday. PT buffer can be changed back and forth with no problems.

Perhaps someone more privy to the sync topic will notice this thread and chime in. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Ok People I gave Up!

I'm gonna have to continue my project without reaper.
Back to bouncing all the time, deactivating VI's and all that out of flow stuff!!
If someone could give me some ideas of a similar way/method to keep protools from crying when using several Vi's at the same time I would appreciated!
I know of VEP pro but it's too expensive right now, and soundflower for mac but I am on PC..

Thanks a lot guys
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
If someone could give me some ideas of a similar way/method to keep protools from crying when using several Vi's at the same time I would appreciated!
Unfortunately I had to stop trying to work with VI's in PT.
Third party VI's just run so heavy in PT compared to how their VST version runs in something else.
I just work in something else and export the audio to PT for mixing or vocal tracking.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Here is the best advice you'll get outside of using a VI host:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Anyone who is having problems, try this:
1. Open your Playback Engine prefs.
2. Set the # of Host Processors to half your maximum. ie if you have a 12-core, set it to 6. If you have an 8-core, set it to 4. If you have a 4-core, set it to 2.
3. Set the CPU Usage Limit to 99%
4. Set your DAE Buffer to Level 2
5. Save your session. Quit. Reboot.
6. Launch Pro Tools. Create a new session. 44.1k 24bit.
7. Start with 4 Instrument Tracks. Create some MIDI for 8 bars.
8. Loop the first 8 bars.
9. Open your System Usage and observe the CPU (RTAS) meter.
10. Start adding more and more instrument tracks with MIDI.

It should be performing MUCH better.

I cannot take credit for this tip, as I read it in another thread (and cannot remember where), but it solved all my problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Tweakhead has some great tips - the number of host processors is directly from the General Troubleshooting thread here on the DUC and is highly recommended when using VI's.

We've commented on this topic here on the DUC many, many times - it appears as though many of you may have missed it.

In summary - this is going to require a huge rework of the Pro Tools engine. We are working on it and have been for some time, but there is no specific info at the moment as to when it will be implemented.

Until then the best way to get better performance is to use the tips Tweakhead gave plus:

1. Make sure ALL installed plug-ins (not just plug-ins used in the session) are the minimum versions listed in our plug-in compatibility grid. I can't stress this enough. If it's not in the grid - remove it. Having even one incompatible plug-in installed can cause all kinds of problems. After updating or removing plug-ins ALWAYS make sure to trash preferences so that all plug-in data can be recached. Again, I can't stress the importance of this enough.
2. Use Vienna Ensemble Pro to host your VI's. This will allow them to work in a 64 bit memory space and avoid 'out of memory issues', plus the engine in VEP will handle VI processing, which is much more efficient.
3. Use a ReWire slave to host your VI's (Reaper, etc). Again, this will allow another 4GB memory instance to load samples to avoid those out of memory issues.

I hope that helps.

Still, some VI's just don't perform well in RTAS format. Also, no tweak will fix the PT 4GB RAM limit, which in some cases is the main problem. On some Windows systems PT chokes out once it hits 3.2-3.5 GB RAM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
Third party VI's just run so heavy in PT compared to how their VST version runs in something else.
+1

Reaper ReWire and VE Pro use the VST format. This is a part of what make them great solutions.

I'm really looking forward to the AAX format and how it will perform.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM

hey thanks Spenner, I thought that the number of processors to be used in my case would be 3, as I have 4, (always 1 less than the total)..

My real problem with VI's inside PT is when lowering the buffer size in the middle of a composition so I can record, even with just one VI open (kontakt) I start hearing that grainy/distorted pops and clicks ... that sucks, .... I have to disable everyone and bounce to audio so I can record and then back again to edit my original midi and so on.... kind of a hassle..!

anyways , i will try the half the processors tweak to see how it goes

Thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
hey thanks Spenner, I thought that the number of processors to be used in my case would be 3, as I have 4, (always 1 less than the total)..

My real problem with VI's inside PT is when lowering the buffer size in the middle of a composition so I can record, even with just one VI open (kontakt) I start hearing that grainy/distorted pops and clicks ... that sucks, .... I have to disable everyone and bounce to audio so I can record and then back again to edit my original midi and so on.... kind of a hassle..!

anyways , i will try the half the processors tweak to see how it goes

Thanks
The 1 less than rule does not work for everyone, which is why Tweakhead suggested that method for those still experiencing issues.

If you are using Kontakt mutitimbral with several patches, then depending on those patches, and how many, you could be simply experiencing the common issues that warrant the need for a VI Host.

If it's just a few patches then I'd take a look at the system. Could you post a Sandra report?