Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 02:33 PM

Default best setup for an 01v?

Hey all

I have the chance to get an 01v from the guy i interned with. He ran it on his sadie system, so he's not as adept with running in protools. Does anyone have any recommended suggestions as the best way to run an 01v with an 001? I am debating to use it for sends or hook it up with an adat card. However, i have an 8 ch preamp that i am also debating about hooking up with an optical cable. Which would benefit me more? any help is greatly appreciated!

Mark
Old 10-06-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: best setup for an 01v?

I use a 01v96 with a 002r, and to be honest, I might not know of some differences between your setup and mine, but here goes. I love the combo. The 01v96 is a piece of genius. It works great as a control surface. It's user defined keys make it a joy. I have the slot card with an additional optical line going to an alesis ai3 interface. You say you have an 8 ch pre? even better. My first 8 tracks are to the optical in. My second 8 tracks are out the slot optical, through the ai3 to the analog ins and the two spdifs are there if you need all 18 tracks. The returns are routed to the second layer of the 01v96. The whole situation is very sexy and works solidly.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:32 PM

I posed this question to Yamaha, and they were a big help. Here it is:

Quote:
Hi--the 01v sends midi control changes when the controls moved and can
control software that responds to these control changes----------select
a remote surface in protools then go to the control change tables in the
01v midi menus
and configure then to match what protools uses for its controller
assignments------hope this helps ed
I do recall reading somewhere that you can use it as a control surface with the CS-10 or PC-1600 profiles, but i haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've emailed support to see if this is the case.

There isn't optical built into it, but there is a card you can install to get the 8-channel optical out.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:32 PM

I wasnt really planning on using it for midi as midi is something i basically don't play with. I can buy it, but if i can save the $ and do without it, then i'd rather take that route, however, i would like a control surface.....i think basically waht i am asking is if although the adat card is 8 channels...would i be able to control more than 8 channels with the 01v? and would i be able to use sends for effects etc....
Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 PM

Send your preamps optical to the O1V and use the O1V mic inputs for extras.

Heres and old post from me about this. Scroll down to lamp.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...08&Search=true
Old 10-07-2004, 12:13 AM

In the O1V96, there is a flip function in the remote layer where you can control the sends for Pro Tools. Very handy!!
I don't know if I answered your question.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:56 AM

For whatever it is worth, after trying to get my 01v to work with a PTLE setup, I realized that it was in my opinion completely pointless, and antithetical to the PT design and purpose to route so much audio out and back. I got a Command 8 and it is a much more pure solution.
I am selling my 01v for $500 if anyone is interested
Old 10-07-2004, 01:38 PM

So i would plug the optical Out of the 8ch pre into the 01v adat card, and send the 01v's out into the pci card for my 001? And then I would use the pres on the 8ch preamp and the extras of the 01v if necessary? let me know if i have this right. thanks!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:26 PM

The 01v96 has a built in adat and then an additional slot which can be 8ch anolog or an additional 8ch of adat, or even 16 ch. of adat optical depending on which card you buy. Is this the same as the 01v? If it is you have a couple of options. I believe the analog slot card is only in or out, not duplex. That is why I got the additional Adat optical card and the ai3, so I could have an additional 8ins and 8outs. You can set up the first layer of the 01v96 as your send to protools and the second layer for your returns. Too bad the 002r has no aes, or I would have gotten that card. I'm not too familiar with the 001 so I apologize if my setup doesn't apply at all.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:44 PM

Quote:
The 01v96 has a built in adat and then an additional slot which can be 8ch anolog or an additional 8ch of adat, or even 16 ch. of adat optical depending on which card you buy. Is this the same as the 01v?
The O1V only has 1 card slot. No built in Adat. So you have to get the Adat card

Quote:
So i would plug the optical Out of the 8ch pre into the 01v adat card, and send the 01v's out into the pci card for my 001? And then I would use the pres on the 8ch preamp and the extras of the 01v if necessary? let me know if i have this right. thanks!
Yeah that's right. You got it. The O1v can do a ton of cool stuff, but you really have to dig in and learn how to buss things. If you get one, Read the manual and then Read it again. I know people with this board that barely scratch the surface of what it can do.

A typical drum session for me goes like this.

OH mics to a Great river Mp2-NV > Rummor in bypass mode for conversion > OO1 SPDIF in.

Kick and three floor toms > Foscrite 428 channels 1 2 3 4 > optical out to O1V, for dyn. & or EQ > O1v optical out to OO1.

Three high toms > Sytek pre > to 428 channels 6, 7, 8 line ins, for conversion > optical out to O1v. The 428 has an eight channel adat out just like your pre.

All six toms are gated a little, panned and combined to a srereo buss in the O1V, then sent out two channels of the adat card to the OO1.

Snare > sytek > 428 channel 5 > O1V > OO1.

That uses 4 channels of the O1v adat out. So I can still use the O1V pres and the other 4 adat outs for scratch rythem section or whatever.

I basically use the O1V as an 8 channel buss router so I can get 10 channels of better pres and conversion into the OO1 AND track a rythem section at the same time.

Its a lousy controller for PT if that's what you really want. But it's a great swiss army knife.