Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2023, 09:59 PM

Default Anyone Successfully using Hybrid Engine to record?

Hello All,
As the thread title asks, is anyone able to record with Hybrid Engine selected as PB engine, without getting odd sync issues?

As reported in other HDX and Carbon threads, myself and others are getting unpredictable playback timing.

Sometimes its only when playing back while still in record.
[ when you come out of record everything is fine]

Sometimes its printed, and stays out of time [ often "ahead" ] no matter the record status.
This happens natively as well as under Rosetta

Avid support has my logs, has my sessions, has video screen captures, has been on a screen share witnessing the issue.
But doesnt have a solution.

I would love to hear from anyone using it with good results.

thanks in advance.

PT ultimate 2023.12
HDX- Sonnet Echo III
HD16 x3
Mac Studio M1 Monterey 64 GB ram

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 12-18-2023, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Anyone Successfully using Hybrid Engine to record?

I have had some of these issues on 23.9, haven't really put 23.12 through the paces yet. I did find that the playback sync would be off from DSP enabled tracks vs non, if tracks were armed. As soon as I disarmed the tracks, or made all of the rest the same (DSP or native), then things would go back to normal. It reminded me of when tracks on 2" would be some on repro and some on sync head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McDude View Post
Hello All,
As the thread title asks, is anyone able to record with Hybrid Engine selected as PB engine, without getting odd sync issues?

As reported in other HDX and Carbon threads, myself and others are getting unpredictable playback timing.

Sometimes its only when playing back while still in record.
[ when you come out of record everything is fine]

Sometimes its printed, and stays out of time [ often "ahead" ] no matter the record status.
This happens natively as well as under Rosetta

Avid support has my logs, has my sessions, has video screen captures, has been on a screen share witnessing the issue.
But doesnt have a solution.

I would love to hear from anyone using it with good results.

thanks in advance.

PT ultimate 2023.12
HDX- Sonnet Echo III
HD16 x3
Mac Studio M1 Monterey 64 GB ram
Mac M2 13" Air in the field
Old 12-19-2023, 06:46 PM

Yes I had this the other day while I was quickly reprinting some stems. Relatively simple session, no crazy delay compensation.

It was quite confusing and I didn't have time to test, but remember that if I had a track in record, but just playing back, the timing was completely out. I had to create a new session and re-import the printed stems to make sure they were in time, because I couldn't trust the original session's timing.

This was on a fresh install of 2023.12, however it was on Sonoma 14.2, so I don't suppose anything taken too seriously from this anecdote, as unsupported Sonoma is seriously buggy to say the least...

Forrester
Old 12-20-2023, 06:45 AM

Yep, I have this about 50% of the time that I'm recording using Hybrid Engine. Playback of tracks that are armed but not in record is completely out of time.

Workaround is either to take record-armed tracks out of record for playback, which is a drag because you lose communication with the singer in the booth, for example. Closing and opening the session usually solves the problem, but it's a workflow killer and makes you look like an amateur with a crappy system in front of the "talent".

I honestly can't believe that Avid hasn't fixed this problem. It's such a fundamental issue for recording!
UAD Octo PCIe, UAD Octo Thunderbolt 3 Satellite

www.adrian-hall.com
Old 12-20-2023, 08:12 AM

To answer the OP's original question yes, I successfully use the hybrid engine to record all of the time. Once upon a time about a year ago I had some delay compensation issues but my impression was that they were fixed because I haven't had that problem in a while. Sorry some of you are still having issues!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 12-23-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
To answer the OP's original question yes, I successfully use the hybrid engine to record all of the time. Once upon a time about a year ago I had some delay compensation issues but my impression was that they were fixed because I haven't had that problem in a while. Sorry some of you are still having issues!
Hi Will,
May I ask you to detail your session layout, of both backing tracks, and record/ overdub tracks?

my session layout that creates the issue is pretty simple.

individual drum tracks --- drum bus/folder tack--- mixbus
individual bass tracks-----bass buss/folder track----mixbus
etc
etc

each track has a dedicated prefade aux send feeding a headphone cue mix

my experiences:
1. often, not always, the audio is printed ahead of where it should be with hybrid engaged AND audio leaving/ entering an interface.

2. internally bussed / printed audio is fine with hybrid engaged

3. as others have mentioned, audio IS printed fine, but plays back out of time while track is still in record ready/ hybrid active.

thanks for your time,
I look forward to hearing about your positive results.

thanks!

Sean McDonald
Sofa King Music Services
Old 12-23-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
Yep, I have this about 50% of the time that I'm recording using Hybrid Engine. Playback of tracks that are armed but not in record is completely out of time.

Workaround is either to take record-armed tracks out of record for playback, which is a drag because you lose communication with the singer in the booth, for example. Closing and opening the session usually solves the problem, but it's a workflow killer and makes you look like an amateur with a crappy system in front of the "talent".

I honestly can't believe that Avid hasn't fixed this problem. It's such a fundamental issue for recording!
thanks Guys,
such a drag that we are still dealing with this.

I agree 100% with your points.

Sean McDonald
Sofa King Music Services
Old 12-24-2023, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McDude View Post
Hi Will,
May I ask you to detail your session layout, of both backing tracks, and record/ overdub tracks?
My session layout changes with every session. I don't have a default template that I work from so I really can't give you the information you seek.

I do seem to remember however that when I had the problem it had to do with some tracks feeding a subgroup and some tracks not feeding a subgroup but that those tracks were feeding a common reverb bus.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS