Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Euphonix MC Pro controller

I am new to PTHD3 and am really liking the platform. I have not been able to get my old Mackie Control Universal to work at all with the PT platform. I am sure that I am doing something wrong but am not sure that it is work the headache of figuring it our because I never really liked the MCU anyway.

I am considering the Euphonix MC Pro and am wondering if anyone has personal experience with it and could comment on it. I think that I am torn between the Euphonix MC Pro and the D-Command. I have also been wondering about the Command-8. Any thoughts. I also understand that there is a huge price spread from the Command 8 and the other two and I would be willing to spend the money if the expense really translated into functionality.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Pro controller

I've had a chance to use both (demo). And both are top notch. I say keep it simple, if you are planning to work exclusively in PT then the D-Command is perfect for you. However, if you run sessions in multiple DAWs I would go for the Euphonix MC Pro.

Here is my example - I track in Neundo, for the workflow, and I mix in PT, but my clients give me Cubase, Sonar, and PT files. And sometimes I track in their program of choice so that I can hand them the session right after instead of converting.
I am comfortable in all, so I am able to keep the mix entirely in their system of choice (for program independent plugins I print the finished effect to track).

The MC would allow me to have the same DAW control layout for every program, and switch between them. I can customize the buttons to display what I want and do what I want - that is the benefit of it. And there is a load of customization you can do. But to be honest, I see its purpose more towards editing than mixing - just by the layout - but that is my opinion.

But then again - if you are a strict PT person, then why pay for the extras? Pick the best tool for the job and in this case the budget.

Hope that helped.