How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2021, 04:59 AM

Default Strange negative value showing in timeline

Hi Guys, I have strange Timeline behaviour
ie; after opening a stored session (see screenshot attachment)

The timeline figures are showing about one hour difference
- between the Bar & Beats timeline , and the minutes and seconds timeline

Shouldn't they both be the same (ie; both beginning at zero) ?

My song start time: begins at 0.00.00 Minutes (zero)
- while the Bars & Beats timeline at the same location is showing negative -1798 Bars?

Q - How can I change the timeline value for the Bars & Beats timeline to also begin at ZERO ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 9.40.50 pm.jpg (16.2 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 07-22-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Strange negative value showing in timeline

Set grid to Bars|Beats and put the cursor where you want Bar 1 (or Bar 0) to be. Then go to the top menus Event->Renumber Bars. Set the current bar/cursor position to be the desired bar.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam_Green View Post
...My song start time: begins at 0.00.00 Minutes (zero)
- while the Bars & Beats timeline at the same location is showing negative -1798 Bars?

Q - How can I change the timeline value for the Bars & Beats timeline to also begin at ZERO ?

I don't see a Song Start marker in that screenshot - probably your Song Start is way down the timeline at 0 bars. As noted above, you can just renumber bars, but you should probably move your Song Start to 0 if it's not already. And...there's nothing strange about negative bar numbers; perfectly legal in all DAWs.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Set grid to Bars|Beats and put the cursor where you want Bar 1 (or Bar 0) to be. Then go to the top menus Event->Renumber Bars. Set the current bar/cursor position to be the desired bar.
This worked, thank you kindly Scott
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 07-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I don't see a Song Start marker in that screenshot - probably your Song Start is way down the timeline at 0 bars. As noted above, you can just renumber bars, but you should probably move your Song Start to 0 if it's not already. And...there's nothing strange about negative bar numbers; perfectly legal in all DAWs.
Thx Rich, I just renumbered them all, plus I also followed this advice from Scotty as well - i.e ; "Set grid to Bars|Beats and put the cursor where you want Bar 1 (or Bar 0) to be. Then go to the top menus Event->Renumber Bars. Set the current bar/cursor position to be the desired bar."

All is working now.
Thank you Kindly Rich
Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
This is a good point and a good thing to check. The tempo ruler isn't showing in the OPs attached pic. The Song Start marker is on the Tempo ruler. Given the negative bar numbers, it is likely that the Song Start marker is way down the timeline.

The only problem with moving the Song Start marker after already working on a song is that any tracks that are in tick mode may have their audio or MIDI data shifted.