Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Vocal Clipping & low volume

OK, here is the deal. I record a hip hop group, been recording them since 97'. They have always been loud and high energy when recording vocals, not loud as in screaming, but overall loud. Of course thier vocals clip, the problem is, if i adjust the gain on the front of my 001 low enough to prevent clipping the vocal turns out extremely low, meaning you can barely hear it, and i end up with a bunch of crying about how "i cant hear myself in the headphones".

I have tried encouraging them to use a moderate voice when recording, but this ends up with takes that lack thier usual energy. I dont have any outboard compressors to run the vocals through before hitting the 001, i use a room with terrible acoustics, and i am using a neumann tlm 103. I have to make do with what i got, do you guys have any suggestions or tips to help solve this.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Vocal Clipping & low volume

Verify the software gain is also properly set on PT. Some versions of PTLE had the graphics reversed!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:41 PM

Priorities;

You can afford a tlm but not a compressor and some rudimentary accoustic treatment?

If you have low bucks get at least the Waves NPP--it will help

If nothing else thorw some furniture into the room and buy a cheapo or better outboard comp even a dbzx160 .

Having a TLM with nothing else is like sticking a hemi into a pinto that needs a brake job---OK! I'm dating myself.

You get the general idea though that one great piece will not make up for many serious weaknesses in the audio chain.

to quote Where

hope this is helpful

Brian
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 PM

compress more. Obviously you're not utilizing the compressor enough to keep the peaks below clipping.

You don't mention what hardware compressor you're using, but if it has an attack time, set it faster. If you;re using a software compressor you're wasting your time, it is post the converter and A/d, and will not do anything to prevernt input clipping.

also, if you're using the 001 hp out, get yourself a decent hp amp with some serious power, and efficient phones. You'll then have ample power to get the vocal tracks loud and reduce if necessary the instrument tracks to balance, without running out of headroom.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:31 AM

turn the fader in pro tools up all the way

so if pro tools is feeding his headphones he thinks hes louder

or do the same on a board , if clipping still occurs tell him to

take a step back off the mic
Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 AM

Hi,

a mix of everything above and/or I also group every instrumental tracks and bring all the music down a few db which leaves more room for vocals, bring down the mic input gain, then crank the overall mix to their headphones resulting in, they get the same music level as before and higher "themselves" levels. If you see they sing to soft, you bring the music up or the other way around.

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz