Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Why external hard drive?

No, any time you go against the recommendations (THIS one especially) you'll think it's safe and then it just quits working. APPARENTLY for no reason, but the reason is, it was designed to work with a separate dedicated audio drive. You're dealing with pure physics. ONE drive needle can't run Windows AND Pro Tools AND read/write all those files. It just isn;t fast enough.
Partitioning the drive and trying to treat it like a separate drive actually makes it worse.
I could never understand the aversion people have to plunking down 50 bucks to make their PT systems run as intended. Look at it this way....back in the OLD days, when you bought a 2" 24-track, you still had to buy TAPE. BUT at $105 a reel. One pass, 30 minutes, 24 tracks period (less one for time code). 50 bucks for a hard drive is the bargain of the century.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
No, any time you go against the recommendations (THIS one especially) you'll think it's safe and then it just quits working. APPARENTLY for no reason, but the reason is, it was designed to work with a separate dedicated audio drive. You're dealing with pure physics. ONE drive needle can't run Windows AND Pro Tools AND read/write all those files. It just isn;t fast enough.
Partitioning the drive and trying to treat it like a separate drive actually makes it worse.
I could never understand the aversion people have to plunking down 50 bucks to make their PT systems run as intended. Look at it this way....back in the OLD days, when you bought a 2" 24-track, you still had to buy TAPE. BUT at $105 a reel. One pass, 30 minutes, 24 tracks period (less one for time code). 50 bucks for a hard drive is the bargain of the century.
I know what you mean,No money reason, only dont feel carry extra drive if I can avoid,at the moment looks like, before i made a live session whith a 003recording 16 tracks in one HD(internal) no one problem in XP I'll try in win7 64 beats, in 32 I didit allready
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Almost always, this one drive thing will work for a while and then fail. Some times corrupting things and sometimes not. It's about how lucky you feel. Good luck.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Almost always, this one drive thing will work for a while and then fail. Some times corrupting things and sometimes not. It's about how lucky you feel. Good luck.
Yeahppp...& Thatz when the ole Helpppp thread pops up & the infamous phrase

"It was & has been working fine but now I DON'T KNOW WHATZ WRONG"
follows

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM

Do you always complain?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Yeahppp...& Thatz when the ole Helpppp thread pops up & the infamous phrase

"It was & has been working fine but now I DON'T KNOW WHATZ WRONG" follows
Yeesss true, at the momentis going okay,

WINDOWS 7 /32 BITS
-You know in Windows 7 / 32bits/PT 8.0.1CS1 last update, works whith no problem 1 hour long session 16 tracks MBOX2 PRO, in the internalHD only
(250GB x 7200rpm) Seagate Momentum

WINDOWS 7 /64 BITS
-Now I am starting test Windows 7 64 bits PT8.8.0.1 CS1
TWO HD: First system C HD 100GB x 7200 RPM seagate Momentum
Second HD Audio Hitachi 160 gb x 7200 rpm USB 2. I hope change by eSata soon .
Protools is installed just as it comes, nothing more(DigiRack and Creative Plugins only)
-MBOX 2 PRO

-LAPTOP HP NW 9440
-Firewire driver Texas Instrunent wich comes in the HP notebook . (Legacy also works)

.16 mono tracks recording
.1 track stereo playback whith music playing

40 minutes working

System Usage: PCI 0%
CPU RTAS 3%
CPU (Elastic) 0%
DISK 10-12%
I7 950
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM

When you start to approach 50-60 mixed (stereo/ mono) tracks, you will discover the improved performance of a second drive with a 32mb buffer. And not a USB. But syetem issues seem to occur at random with a single drive, even with only one track up.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-13-2009, 11:36 AM

OIC Thanks.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Smile Re: Why external hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
When you start to approach 50-60 mixed (stereo/ mono) tracks, you will discover the improved performance of a second drive with a 32mb buffer. And not a USB. But syetem issues seem to occur at random with a single drive, even with only one track up.
First, I know that i just wanna try what happend in one disk for my live chamber music recordings in a hall concert, not studio, not a ton of tracks, not to carry more gear; course if I need more tracks I go whith two HD,
Second I experiment whith Win 7 64 bits and I got it to work pretty well in my MBOX PRO and DIGI 003 whith the available firewire drivers. thats all. simple.
I7 950
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flautista View Post
First, I know that i just wanna try what happend in one disk for my live chamber music recordings in a hall concert, not studio, not a ton of tracks, not to carry more gear; course if I need more tracks I go whith two HD,
Second I experiment whith Win 7 64 bits and I got it to work pretty well in my MBOX PRO and DIGI 003 whith the available firewire drivers. thats all. simple.
No problem, if it works for you, go with it. But for the hundreds of other people that read these threads I would suggest staying closer to the suggested qualified path. And of course HD is always an option if you need track count onto the hundreds..

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com