Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Am I missing something? My take on the PODHD hype.

I'll be taking one home tomorrow for a 30 day test drive. I want to hear how it stacks up to my tube amp on recordings. I'm really hoping it does the job because it will open a lot more time up.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
I'll be taking one home tomorrow for a 30 day test drive. I want to hear how it stacks up to my tube amp on recordings. I'm really hoping it does the job because it will open a lot more time up.
I bet it sounds killer on recordings. I could make my old POD XT Pro sound great. But it did not feel right.
It will be interesting how the HD feels.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
... And as for the sound cleaning up when the volume is rolled back, I accidently did that on Day 1 with the Eleven Rack. I thought the volume was a little too loud and rolled back the volume on the guitar thinking that would just lower the sound, but, the sound cleaned up!!! Now, I had used digital modellers before that but they didn't clean up - I was shocked . I still remember thinking - "oh, #$@&, that could be a real problem at a gig, perhaps it's time to get a volume pedal". ....
Personally I like an amp that allows you to clean up the tone by rolling the guitars volume down, that's the way it is supposed to work and the inability of previous modelers to work that way was one of the problems. A volume pedal near the end of the signal chain would give you the ability to maintain the gain but lower the overall volume but please don't advocate for taking away the very useful and natural feature of rolling the guitars volume off to clean it up!!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada Jones View Post
Personally I like an amp that allows you to clean up the tone by rolling the guitars volume down, that's the way it is supposed to work and the inability of previous modelers to work that way was one of the problems. A volume pedal near the end of the signal chain would give you the ability to maintain the gain but lower the overall volume but please don't advocate for taking away the very useful and natural feature of rolling the guitars volume off to clean it up!!
Dude, I'm not advocating that at all, I'm all in favour of it.

It was just that this was the first time the sound cleaned up rolling back the volume, I had 2 modellers previous the the Eleven Rack and I just used the volume on the guitar willy nilly to increase/decrease volume. Because it didn't do anything else. Now with the 11R if I was playing a Van Halen or AC/DC riff at a gig and turned down the volume - well, that could be a real shocker . Hence the search for a MIDI floorboard/volume pedal.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Someone put some new clips up on YouTube the other day. They actually sound great!

Still....after 10 years of their modelling, it's about time they updated things....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM

I ordered a POD HD500 from Sweetwater. I want it, I'm excited and I can't wait!!! I like using dual rigs on my POD X3 Live but the tone not as good as the 11R.

I was inspired by the videos on the Waves GTR3 site Neil Citron. Playing live it sounds great using the sound of 2 amps at the same time.

I'll add a Line 6 DT 50 2x12 combo to the HD500 for live playing.

11R is great I love the sound but
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Someone put some new clips up on YouTube the other day. They actually sound great!

Still....after 10 years of their modelling, it's about time they updated things....
I may have to eat my words about the HD500 while the majority of sounds and clips thus far suck quite badly, a Chris Beaver (an AxeFX user to boot) posted a clip to YouTube using a JCM800 sim (correctly I might add) and it sounds, ummm, - and I hate to say this - pretty good.

Mind you, I am not going to give you a link - I'm still a dyed in the wool supporter of 11R
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Mind you, I am not going to give you a link - I'm still a dyed in the wool supporter of 11R
Why can't we all just get along....?

I'm actually gonna use both. HD500 as a foot controller for the 11R and maybe two more amps (duo tone style) and pan hard left right. mmmmm big sound!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM

Which makes me wonder. I'd always assumed the "All Things Guitar" was for anything to do with Pro Tools recording of anything guitar-related AND 11R info. You can use Pro Tools to record a Pod HD or an Axe FX, etc.

I also plan to get an HD500, but I also like my 11R, and I'm sure I'd like the Axe too.

-cp
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
i may have to eat my words about the hd500 while the majority of sounds and clips thus far suck quite badly, a chris beaver (an axefx user to boot) posted a clip to youtube using a jcm800 sim (correctly i might add) and it sounds, ummm, - and i hate to say this - pretty good.

Mind you, i am not going to give you a link - i'm still a dyed in the wool supporter of 11r

link link link link link link!