Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM

Question Questions about upgrade to PT-9

Here is a few little weird questions I am very curious about.
Sorry for my ignorance ahead of time, I really don't know and the reason why I am asking.

I own MP-8.
When I buy the crossover upgrade for PT9.
from MP-8 version.

Do I have to always make sure I have PT MP8 installed,
before I install the crossover PT-9 version.?

Or can I just install the PT-9 crossover straight away without
having to install MP-8 first.?

Also, can I still continue using the PT v8 iLOK USB key.?
which currently holds ALL my licenses for PT and VST's.
or do I have to transfer everything over from my old iLOK
to the new iLOK that comes with the Crossover of PTv9.?

And if so, will it be a free transfer since I would have purchased the new crossover version of PTv9.?

And is it better to use the newer USB key for the newer PTv9
and have both keys running in the system seperately?
One to run the plugs I purchased and the other to use the PTv9 software.?

thanks.
:)
Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Questions about upgrade to PT-9

Hiya,

I ran through similar questions recently.

to begin:
i successfully installed the crossover to 9 on a system without pt8. I reckon iLok checks what license/version of PT you're allowed to run... but the app seems to install regardless.

The crossgrade from m-powered 8 to proTools 9 didn't ship me a new iLok. i'm still using the same one from a couple years back.. works just fine... if you like iLoks.

my history:
I purchased m-powered-proTools via the profire 2626 in 2008.
Back then, they gave me pt7 ((m-powered) + iLok) with a complimentary upgrade to 8.

Just the other day i bought into the cross-grade bit - from 8 to 9.
iLok / avid removed my license to 8 (and yes.. 8 stopped loading).
That concerned me, cause i had a stable version 8 with loads of vsts/rtas plugins.

I ended up purchasing an upgrade from 7 to 8 - for about $150 usd.
I didn't want to lose a stable 8 system. now i have a license for 7, 8, and 9 (call me sucker).

Welp. turns out, i'm up and running on pt9 (windows 7). all my plugs are working well - Including vsts via FXexpansion's VST to RTAS. that wrapper in particular was flawless. just point to the folder to wrap. done. so worth it considering all the open source vsts out there.

it's nice that i can use my laptop's soundcard for pt9 though. that took some help from http://www.asio4all.com/ to make it go.

One last rant:
If you have a PT7 system and took advantage of the complimentary upgrade to 8, AND don't care about 8 anymore, AND want to taste what 9's like?... don't buy a cross-grade. buy a 150$ update from 7 to 8. Once you do that, they send you an update (complimentary) to 9 (happened in my case). Mind you, that compliment will most likely fade with version 10.

sorry for chattering on. it's my first post here
Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Thank you for responding and posting.
Very great information :)

I am concerned though, that I will lose my PT-8 License. (as you mentioned)
I spent a great deal of money on that and I should not have to lose it.

Now I am scared of installing PT9 knowing my license for PT 8 will be yanked away from me.
I still don't get that and its very hard to accept that.

I don't believe they have the right to yank away v8
since we paid money for it.
I should still be able to still own v8 since it was purchased.

Thats like you buying a 2010 car, and just because you buy a 2011 car
does not give the right for the dealership to take your 2010 car away.
since you still own it and purchased it in full.

Its the same thing with the license.
I own v8, and AVID has no right to yank away something
I already own and purchased.

kind of unfair dont you think?

Thank you for all the great information and response.
it is greatly appreciated.
:)
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM

I don't understand that either. There are other DAWs out there that allow you to have multiple installations with different versions on the same PC or Mac. That way you can work on projects in the older version that you started there. I really don't see what the problem is.

I have a very stable version of PT 8 on my machine and I'm loathe to even update to Win 7 because of that.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
I don't understand that either. There are other DAWs out there that allow you to have multiple installations with different versions on the same PC or Mac. That way you can work on projects in the older version that you started there. I really don't see what the problem is.

I have a very stable version of PT 8 on my machine and I'm loathe to even update to Win 7 because of that.
There's no reason to have multiple versions of PT on one computer, because the latest version will open a session from all previous versions. PT9 will open sessions from PT5. PT7 can open sessions from PT9, too.

Why make it complicated with more than one version, when PT9 does it all anyway? They aren't removing anything, you're getting a lot more than you had with PT8.

Besides... just like buying a car...

You don't have to give up the PT8 license if you don't want to. You can buy the 2011 without giving up the 2010. However, if you want a discount off the new car... you have to trade in the old car. Hence, the $349 discount price.

If you pay the full $599, you can get an independent PT9 license. If you want the discount, you sacrifice your older license. That's how upgrading works.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Hence the reason why I wont update.

I paid a lot of money for my PT8. Hard earned money,
for them to just take away my license for PT 8 is just wrong.

because If I want to have PT8 on my laptop to work on small pre-productions on it I should.
And then have my PT9 running on my main computer.

And another thing,.
People can't keep spending $599 every single time a new version comes out.
many people don't have it like that to keep pouring out money like that each time.

Also, If I own a previous version, I should be able to buy the discounted priced PT version because I already own a main version.
So it should only cost $349 and we should still keep our previous version license.
because WE paid for it, its ours to keep not for AVID to take away.

And as Julia mentioned, other DAW's lets you keep previous version licenses,
even when purchasing upgrades at much less price than a full version price.
because its a customer that keeps using the product.
and AVID should have more gratitude than that.

We work very hard for our money and many of us are not as rich as avid would like us to be.
And yes I am angry about this situation. because its unfair.

And As I mentioned before, If Avid would let us keep our previous license,
I could have my PT8 on one computer and my PT9 on another.
Again, because I purchased it. Its mine and I should be allowed to do so.

Once I purchase the product, it no longer belongs to avid, it belongs to me.
because I purchased it in full. I own it.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Clearly you've never read an EULA or a software copyright law.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Clearly you've never read an EULA or a software copyright law.
What copyright law, I own it, i purchased the software.
There is no laws being broken. I own the license.
duh
Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 AM

There is a simple solution to the iLok license issue. 1- just buy a new iLok and load the PT9 license and leave the 8 license on the old one(while the license will be removed from your iLok account, it will remain on the old iLok and be usable as long as that iLok doesn't get lost or broken), or 2-open a new iLok account for PT9. You can attach more than 1 ilok to any system, and iLok accounts are free I have my PT-MP license on an old iLok now, and while I can't sell or transfer the license, I can run MP with it. Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There is a simple solution to the iLok license issue. 1- just buy a new iLok and load the PT9 license and leave the 8 license on the old one(while the license will be removed from your iLok account, it will remain on the old iLok and be usable as long as that iLok doesn't get lost or broken), or 2-open a new iLok account for PT9. You can attach more than 1 ilok to any system, and iLok accounts are free I have my PT-MP license on an old iLok now, and while I can't sell or transfer the license, I can run MP with it. Food for thought
Humm, good Information...

But I am curious about a few things,.
Doesnt the PT-9 software need to see the v8 License in order to install the v9 license.?
Just curious....

Also, when having the PT-8 old key filled with plugin licenses and if I decide to plug both keys into
one computer, do I run the risk of having the v8 license of being deleted,
thus making my PT-8 software null and the cd into a coaster.?

Do I have to be carefull not to put both keys into one computer
to prevent having my PT-8 license from being snatched away.?

Thus,your idea sounds very very good ,
I don't want to run the risk of having my license snatched away when I plug in both keys into one system if I need to.

Because the old key has all the licenses for all my plugins.
Also when I purchase new plugins, wouldn't that mean I can't install the new licenses
of the new plugins into the old PT-8 key any more, that has the rest of the plugins I already have.?
Because no sooner I sync my PT8 key to get my new plugins licenses,
would iLOK delete my old PT8 key in the process.?

Do I also have to make sure I don't sync my PT8 with iLOK key when purchasing new plugins,?
Because iLOK will delete the PT8 durring the vst license sync.
How do I handle this part of the situation?
(by the way - I do have a new empty iLOK key I purchased a while back from iLOK.)
Its sitting on my keyring waiting to be used.

I am asking all these questions because I am wondering also about my plugin licenses handling as well
If I do it your way as you mentioned.

So I am just making sure and clarifying a few things :)

Thanks for the great info albee1952 :)