Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Clipped Production Audio

Anyone have any advice/plug in recommendations/wonder fixes that help with clipped production dialogue? I am trying to minimize the amount of ADR required on a project by maximizing the amount of production audio used, and since much of it is clipped not on input to pro tools, but on input to the mic pre's used on set (at least that's how it presents itself) it would be nice to be able to save some of the less seriously clipped parts.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Clipped Production Audio

I understand you can contact CEDAR in the UK, and they can run their restoration stuff, and rescue bad auido.
It's supposed to be not too expensive.

IMDB Credits
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Anyone have any advice/plug in recommendations/wonder fixes that help with clipped production dialogue? I am trying to minimize the amount of ADR required on a project by maximizing the amount of production audio used, and since much of it is clipped not on input to pro tools, but on input to the mic pre's used on set (at least that's how it presents itself) it would be nice to be able to save some of the less seriously clipped parts.
I have used the DeClip module inside of the Cedar Cambridge system with amazing results. It all depends on just how far gone your original audio is. I think Cedar has a PC only plug-in for ProTools for this.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM

I am interested in this too. I will be doing a quick mix for a 10 minute PSA and there is some (analog) clipped dialog. Small budget production and can't re-shoot. I was going to try some eq to smooth it out. I have also had luck in the past with the cranesong phoenix plugin smoothing out the distortion.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM

This Cedar DeClip looks pretty amazing, but pc only? Ugh. Shame...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Waves DeCrackle set to maximum, run over the clipped portions multiple times. Each time takes a little more of the edge off.

-jeremiah
Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Waves DeCrackle set to maximum, run over the clipped portions multiple times. Each time takes a little more of the edge off.

-jeremiah
Yep this works sometimes. Not as sexy but a lot cheaper. If only Cedar would port their plug-ins over to OS X...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM

I've also sometimes used a limiter with a soft attack and a threshold low enough to soften the edge, works better on digital clip than blown out mic. Also Sound Soap has a de click slider that has worked pretty well on some things. Both of the above have been amazing or useless depending on the material.
YMWV
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
This Cedar DeClip looks pretty amazing, but pc only? Ugh. Shame...
You want shame? The AudioSuite Declip plug-in lists at $5,679.

It's an amazing, magical plug-in, I'll give them that much. But considering that price, and how few of us are running on a PC, I don't imagine sales are too brisk. I know you can rent modules for the Cambridge platform, maybe the same is true of AudioSuite authorizations.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:11 PM

My understanding was that they were going to port to Mac after the Intel changeover but, I've been wrong before.

one could dual boot a MacPro

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig