How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Default Selecting start of clip with Smart Tool

Hello,

I'm noticing that it's a little tricky to select the start of a clip while the Smart tool is selected because the tool always wants to either be a fader tool or a trimmer tool unless I zoom in quite a bit first. Is there some modifier key I should be holding down in order to ensure that the tool stays as the selector tool while at the start of the clip if desired?

If not, then I suppose my options are to either switch to the Selector-only tool first before selecting (and then switching back to Smart tool after, which seems a little tedious), select somewhere a little further in from the start and then use Nudge backwards, or I must zoom in first before trying to select the near start of my clip, which also seems a little tedious. The first option isn't too terrible since the middle mouse button shortcut switches between the tools pretty quickly of course, but the less necessary button clicks for me, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Selecting start of clip with Smart Tool

Are you using the keyboard shortcuts and memory locations? Those can really help your work flow. The F6,F7,F8 keys select the SMART tool and the individual tools fast and easy. Then using memory location markers and the numeric keypad(assuming a standard sized keyboard) can get you anywhere in the song quickly with a few key strokes. If these are strange to you, check out some tutorials on youtube

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Are you using the keyboard shortcuts and memory locations? Those can really help your work flow. The F6,F7,F8 keys select the SMART tool and the individual tools fast and easy. Then using memory location markers and the numeric keypad(assuming a standard sized keyboard) can get you anywhere in the song quickly with a few key strokes. If these are strange to you, check out some tutorials on youtube
Yessir, I'm aware of the F-key shortcuts and using memory location markers, but I'm specifically looking to just select the very beginning of individual audio clips for a small bit of editing. At first glance, I wouldn't think memory markers would be what I'm looking for, as I would need to place a marker at the beginning of every individual clip to ensure I could quickly access each of them should I need to (and then nudge a bit since I'm sure my marker placement wouldn't be perfect).

I'm guessing then that there is no real way to prevent the cursor from automatically turning into the trimmer / fader tool if I'm using the Smart tool and am not sufficiently zoomed in enough. I guess I'll keep going about zooming and/or nudging and/or switching tools repeatedly
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosdr View Post
Hello,

I'm noticing that it's a little tricky to select the start of a clip while the Smart tool is selected because the tool always wants to either be a fader tool or a trimmer tool unless I zoom in quite a bit first. Is there some modifier key I should be holding down in order to ensure that the tool stays as the selector tool while at the start of the clip if desired?

If not, then I suppose my options are to either switch to the Selector-only tool first before selecting (and then switching back to Smart tool after, which seems a little tedious), select somewhere a little further in from the start and then use Nudge backwards, or I must zoom in first before trying to select the near start of my clip, which also seems a little tedious. The first option isn't too terrible since the middle mouse button shortcut switches between the tools pretty quickly of course, but the less necessary button clicks for me, the better.

Thanks in advance!
There's no way to do what you want, because you can't exclude the trimmer and/or the fade option from the smart tool. But, hitting F7 for the selector and then F7+F8 (or F6+F7) to go back to the smart tool is pretty quick.